Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Vinyl cleaner

Today has arrived my Okki-Nokki, the German built vinyl cleaner and vacuum.
I will test it Saturday and will publish the results.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/mobile/prodi...swodNukO4g

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

That looks pretty interesting, looking forward to seeing how it works.

I always used the Watts Manual Parastat and Dust Bug to lightly clean any dust off my albums. 

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/ceci...stat.shtml

Haven't been able to find any good antistatic fluid for a while and read mixed reviews on the new D4 (Discwasher) fluid.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Icon_eek  mike that over kill for cleaning records

here`s all you need
[Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...r_1910.JPG]

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I didn't know Regina hired out to clean vinyl...... :>)

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Sam

Will see.
Pretty much all most effective cleaners include vacuuming, including the Lbrary of Congress cleaner (that one is outside my budget). Simple washers work but according to reviews not as effective.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

ARE you kidding ME,,,,at $499.00,,,,WHAT

Could be a $130 which is pretty much the same but manual and requires a Shop Vac bought separately.
Made in Canada.

Now, the first test.

So...it came yesterday and today I tried it on three records.
All three came from eBay and were noisy/crackly.

One is Karl Richter Organ works Vol1 and two are Virtuosi di Roma.
I had higher hope for the first as it was unformly lightly crackly while the other two were poppy. All were sold as NM/NM-.

My prediction turned out correct: the first record is now passable at least as EX and the other two are still poppy. Guess not everything can get sucked out Icon_smile

I plan to clean every record I transfer to tape before I do it.

http://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com

There's a video.
Canfab3D.
Great machine and with shipping $130 plus you have to provide he shop vac.
Machine is manual. I am sure it achieves the same results as mine; many folks swear by it, snd I almost ordered it.

What swayed me, considering the price difference? I hated the thought of keeping ShopVac around, bringing it in/out....space is slso at a premium.....nolding a brush while rotating the disk manually.....
The results I am sure will be the same.

Now as to the results: the Okki Nokki works very well: I am testing before and after, and transfer cleaned records to tape. It quiets down records noticeably. Especially that scratchy constant soubd. Loud pops.... It's a crap shoot, if it is piece of dirt lodged in the grooves, it'll take it out, if it is a damage, then no.
I have a record I want to try. Actually a couple: a version of Bach's Bauern Kantate and Telemann sonatas: there are pkaces where they skip, and I do want these to play. Will see.

Just cleaned a very scratchy disk with a skip.
The skip remains. I saw it under a magnifying glass, there's a damage, nothing can be done. But the record is so quiet now where it was pretty noisy before....the stuff works.

Mike, how were you cleaning records prior to this?  In the video you linked to the guy was using distilled water after the first cleaning solution, do you do the same with your unit?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Prior to this I was pretty much putting my turntable to 45 rpm, soak a cotton ball with rubbing 70% isopropanol, and move the ball from the center to the edge while spinning. This would collect the debris and to my understanding cleaned the record somewhat. At least I saw the cotton ball getting a bit of dirt on it after running it over both sides. Not real dirt, dust mostly, I guess.

I saw a recommendation of using distilled water after cleaning, though the manufacturing company does not tell you to do this. So I do put some distill water on the disk after cleaning, and, using a separate soft brush, spread it over and then vacuum. Just in case. Not sure it is really needed, I am sure the cleaners are inert and eventually, once fully evaporated, don't do anything bad. But if they have detergent in them, unless fully washed off, it probably leaves residue, however insignificant, so the addition of water probably reduces that a bit.

Mike,

On some pops I have found a bump or dip causes it. If a bump you can sometimes know it down with a pin or needle through it in the groove. If a bump then it gets touchy trying to fill it in.

Thanks for all the feedback on the unit you bought.

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Yep, performing operations like this, you need a large magnification microscope and the needle should be fairly small size and so very hard so it does not bend.
But if the record was ever non-bumpy, bump is likely made of dirt and so can be attempted to be dissolved/washed. A cavity, on the other hand, has to be filled and this would require a suitable dispenser few would have.

Sometimes finding a new record is easier Icon_lol

Have you tried GLUE? I'm not going to but it would be fun if you did Icon_twisted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

(03-07-2017, 12:56 PM)Phlogiston Wrote:  Have you tried GLUE? I'm not going to but it would be fun if you did Icon_twisted

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs][/url]
You mean, sniffing it? 'Cause for that other thing it fits much worse Icon_lol No, haven't tried it for either purpose Icon_mrgreen

On a serious note, this is a valid way of doing it. I saw it before. But it has to be Elmer's or any PVA.