Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need description of Philco 16 bypass block (code 125, 126)

I am looking for a photo or description of Philco 16 capacitor p/n 30-2078, part 73 on the schematic.  It has 4 lugs. Values 1, 1, 1, and 2mfd, type and voltage unknown. Used in Philco 16 code 125, 126, 127 (late version) chassis. It appears to have been mounted using two threaded studs. It has been removed on the chassis I am restoring. I would like to find or fabricate something close to the original, for restuffing. I have only seen and restuffed the large square can type used in the early version chassis (code 121, 122). In previous restorations I have used film capacitors vs. electrolytics, since this is a bypass capacitor and not a filter capacitor.

This link should help you out: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/bblokcap.htm

I think I know what you are talking about. It's a metal can that sets on top of chassis looks like the filter cans but smaller. I will see if I can get you a picture and dig out my schematic for the code 125 and see what the voltages are.

The voltages for that can are: 2mf-300v, 1-1mf 350v , 1mf-450v.
Would use the 630 volt caps for all and not worry about trying to match the voltages. If you use ecaps 450v should work.
Here is a picture of the one in mine It uses the standard can clamp.
[Image: http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o654...5sgrdi.jpg]

(03-12-2017, 11:17 AM)KCMike Wrote:  The voltages for that can are: 2mf-300v,  1-1mf 350v , 1mf-450v.
Would use the 630 volt caps for all and not worry about trying to match the voltages. If you use ecaps 450v should work.
Here is a picture of the one in mine It uses the standard can clamp.
Thanks - exactly what I needed! I even found a can clamp in my junk box that matches the mounting holes on the chassis!  Looks like in your photo that the original was an electrolytic, from the vent on the top. I was planning on using film capacitors, but ecaps would be cheaper and obviously must work in the application.  Thanks again.

Since these are bypass caps the capacitance isn't very critical I used 10mf @ 450v for all.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry