Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canadian Philco model 20

OK, back to Dan's original question. The Philco 20 is easy to work on. There is plenty of room under the chassis, easy to get to all parts. As with all the older Philcos, there are a few bakelite capacitor blocks. Plan on all the resistors being high in value. New dog bone resistors are available. Icon_wink  If there is a problem with the interstage transformer, there are new replacements. The speaker may be good, if not, they can be repaired or good ones show up eBay fairly often.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Philco transformer is a stolid one, and Canadian (is it 20A for 25Hz?) if it is what I think should be an indestructible monster. Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

By looking at the size of the transformer, it does not appear to be a 25 cycle radio. I have a 20A, the transformer core stack is almost twice as thick. Either way, the power transformer is very robust and not likely to ever fail.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

You're right, looks like a regular 60 Hz job, still... Haven't seen Philco power transformers fail yet. They are a sturdy folk. Unlike their lesser cousins, the output and interstage, those are found bad all the time. Speaking of which, this one has both Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I have recapped this radio and I had to change five resistors.
 it now works fine, although the speaker is a little high pitched.  Considering the age of the radio it sounds quite good.
   I am replacing the broken parts on the grill.
   when it gets warmer I will be doing the cabinet.
  Dan in Calgary

Living in Calgary Alberta

Dan

High-pitched could be due to the stiff spider of the 20 speaker.

Yes I think you are right. I connected another speaker to the voice coil and it has more bass and sounds
like a regular speaker.  This is fine the way it is, and I am not going to mess with it.
   Dan in calgary

Living in Calgary Alberta