Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model and date of Philco radio

Hi,

I'm new to Philco radios. I just purchased this one at an estate sale. It was working when I bought it, but after bringing it home, I have not plugged it in. I am not sure how to find the model number, so I would appreciate if anyone can recognize the model and year.

thanks,

earnestly

Welcome
need to post model or pic  
See how to do things in phorum 

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Inside thee cabinet,,on the side wall,,(label), or give all these smart older / wiser - gentlemen -a tube line up,,,number on each tube in the set,,,just pull one tube out at a time and reinstall in same position,,watch -out for little key ways on some tubes on center post,,,some older tube have pins that are offset,(staggered),,soo,,look careful how you pull them,,,some take a little wiggle to get to move out of all thee pins-----but most of all----don"t, don't grab them by the glass and pull,,,sometimes you can read the numbers on thee glass without pulling,,,,this is just a start,,,,soo,,,cheers.

Oops, I thought I had posted pictures! Would be kind of hard to tell without them. The blue tag on back is mostly gone.

Hi and welcome,
Not sure as the cabinet doesn't  seem to fit any of the gallery pics. From the knobs and bezel it would appear to be from 1933-35. At this point if you a get the chassis out and shoot a few pics of it we can give you a more definitive answer.Also can provide some other technical info.
It is one of Philco's mid level set as it has a shadowmeter.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I like it!

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

(03-18-2017, 03:27 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  From the knobs and bezel it would appear to be from 1933-35.

From the knobs and bezel, it is definitely a 1935 model (mfg. 1934-35). I would say it is an 18, 118, or DC-only 49.

But that cabinet is not a factory American Philco cabinet. It is either a custom cabinet, something converted from another radio manufacturer, or it could be Canadian? Photos of the back of the set, and of the chassis, would help determine whether or not it is Canadian or export, or not. More photos would also help determine exactly which Philco model it is.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

[attachment=12601

Wow, that's interesting. It doesn't look exactly like any stock images I could find.
Here is a picture of the back. The radio chassis has J7 5958 stamped in the back. There seem to be 5 tubes. At the top of the wood of the cabinet there is Made In USA and 180 stamped in it.

Here is a picture of the whole back.

I'm wondering if there is a cover panel on the upper face of the cabinet that helped a prior owner convert this cabinet, from maybe, a Fairbanks Morse or some other brand radio cabinet that has a large oval dial face. Look at the inner front of the cabinet and see what looks like an oval opening and two screw holes from maybe the old dial.....

118 on back of thee Tuner capacitor,,,if that helps

Is it just me or does that power transformer look huge? Perhaps a 50 cycle radio?
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

(03-19-2017, 06:22 PM)jerryhawthorne Wrote:  Is it just me or does that power transformer look huge?  Perhaps a 50 cycle radio?
Jerry

Not so much. It has the 10w class A output stage with requires a bit more current than the standard P/P 42 output stage.
Most if not all of the 25cy are out of Canada these have a metal tag riveted on the back apron.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Have a look and so if this info match your set (pretty sure it will).
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013125.pdf

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Quote:There seem to be 5 tubes

I believe there are eight tubes. Some of them are hiding inside of tube shields. I believe you have a 118. To be sure, look at the dial. If the shortwave band covers 4.2 to 12 megacycles it is a 118. If the shortwave band covers 1.5 to 4.0 it is an 18. The speaker doesn't look to be Philco. The 18 and 118 are very good radios.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes