Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

46-1226 code 125 restoratioin *DONE

(05-22-2017, 07:33 PM)Kenneth F. Besso Jr. Wrote:  I HEARD enough,,,,,to much  brain work ,,running loose ,,,please shot it

???

(remainder of post deleted by admin)

I think ken  means shoot it
Think you are going over board with radio adding ,and over thinking 
Most of us here try to keep original 
But hey it's yours do what you want  my 0.02

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Aww comon' Ward, dontcha think your being a little hard on the Beaver?

I thought i already made amends on this aspect sevral times in this thread.  i didnt know what i didnt know and did not even realize restuffing caps was an option or i would have.  I simply knew that originality was out the door until i notice here other peoples work. 

when we finally corrected the factory error on my power supply to allow for a PM speaker, well, the original design forced my hand to *not* stay original unless i wanted the radio broke in a couple years. 

this radio is now a daily driver, not something thats going to be babied , its back in service like its soul begged to be.  It just had to wait until i grew up and got a little smarter, i patiently protected it from the land fill for all these years now it talks and shares its stories, once again provides enjoyment sorrow and grace..

i come from a long line of DO'ers, and making due with what you have. Things are a whole lot easier for all of us on this board than it was for our long gone beloved family members and just to have such a thing in your home back then was such a treat.

My father sat on the floor as a kid infront of this very radio listening to the bombs being dropped during WW2, along side him my aunts an uncles with thier father and mother on the couch & to include thier fathers and mothers on the next sofa.  When i was told this story being about 8 yrs old, i remember having some new connection being made in my dna with the Respect this radio deserves. 

I think what i was doing here was doing my best to give something even more life longivity than it had before.  when you think like that you start thinking about when you are gone,, so thats why i belive i did things the way i did, so my sons can be able to fix it later when they are old.

Well...

my two cents' worth: We are here to preserve history. That is the bottom line.

Most of us do not object to modifications that can improve performance yet retain most of the originality of the radio. I even admire the heat sink idea as that may be applicable to tube stereo receivers that sometimes run their output tubes close to (if not right at) their maximum ratings.

But when it comes to converting your radio into a night light...

well, alll I can do is quote someone whom I once knew and admired many years ago, the late Rev. Lowell Mason. He used to make a point fairly frequently in his sermons...and he always said it with a smile:

"You don't have to agree with me. You have every right to be wrong if you want to be. Amen?"

Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

.. ok , my 2 cents worth also. First as everyone said it is your radio to do with what you want.. But, if you want something that has all the new "fixes" etc then someone can buy a new radio and not worry about it.
You say your family sat around and listened to this radio years ago. I say why wouldn't a person want it just like it was for them, more memories to me if it is original to the way they had it. That's the way I did my Fathers 47-1230. I like the idea of it being just like he used to listen to it, not with any new ideas we have now to "improve" it. Like I said, just my 2 cents. Have fun..

forgot to address this point...

Quote:My father sat on the floor as a kid infront of this very radio listening to the bombs being dropped during WW2

That was some trick, considering that the 46-1226 was not built until after WWII ended. Icon_eek

I am sorry if it seems that we are "ganging up" on you, jcassity - that is not our intention, I assure you.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

yeah, ive thought about that since years ago i found out it was post ww2, As a kid i heard one thing and perhaps it was said differently,, who knows., it may have actually been re-broadcast of war efforts on a radio story show or something.

Finally heard back from Radio Daze, gave them a very lengthy voice mail and thier manuf of the dial glass is going to look at adding a missing / last step to paint work.

thier product is missing the final paint stage where the horizontal elipse tick marks for both SW and BC are blocked out on the rear so that copper spray paint can be applied to the back of the dial glass.

A proper dial glass would only have see through on the elipse parts.