Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best method of cleaning metal parts?

I have some brass screws and washers, as well as corroded steel brackets that I'd like to gently clean.  Would it be a good idea to soak them in lemon juice, or vinegar?

I have harsher cleaners such as carb cleaner and Castrol Super Clean, but I wanted to get some advice before diving in and possibly harming something.

Also, I've been told that a person can ruin the value of an antique by refinishing it.  They weren't referring to radios, but is it better to patch up the existing finish?  That won't be an option on some of my poor old units, I'd just like to know what the general consensus is on this topic.

Lastly, are there some books, websites, etc. where I can read up on refinishing and restoration of these old cabinets?

I'm a newbie when it comes to restorations like this, although I have lots of other mechanical and electrical experience.

This new hobby is sure taking the edge off of waiting for all the snow to melt and the weather to warm up! Icon_thumbup

Moved to Philco Electronic Restoration since the topic is chassis (not cabinet) parts.

Dan, please feel free to start a separate thread on cabinet refinishing/restoration in the Philco Cabinet Restoration section.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The carburettor cleaner I don't think will hurt brass or aluminum, or probably steel, since all three are found in carburettors, except for Carter Thermoquads in which the bodies are made out of Bakelite. Evaporust or metal rescue seems to work well for small metal parts, you can even clean up a tuning condenser with it.
Regards
Arran

rustolium "rust Disolver",, i tested this along side of another brand.
this **does not** require you to keep the item submerged like another brand called Rust remover.

I did a thread on Foxthunderbirdcougar forums about this and many other good products.

it does more than just remove rust, it eats away the stuff that doesnt belong.

Do you have a link to the thread? I looked on the forum, but I couldn't search it, or otherwise find it.

Thanks,
Dan

link here, to see pics though you set up your user name

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/show...t-Disolver

pictures of the same thing over at that link for you to view.

evaporust did not do well for dipping only.

Attached Files Image(s)

I have used Naval Jelly for brass (Be careful here because there are two types of Naval Jelly.) and have never had a single problem. I sometimes dilute the Naval Jelly with water first if the part actually has an antiqued brass finish. I have also used Weiman Brass Polish with good results on such things as small brass nails and screws. I apply it with a soft tooth brush and then polish it with a soft cloth. Some serious collectors do not want antiques to have a high luster or new look. A perfect example is how many black dial Zenith radios have had the cabinets ruined using anything with a high shine. I have seen, what I would call ruined cabinets because they shine far more than when they first came off the show room floor.