Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

What 16B Chassis Do I Have Here?

^^^  Thanks for the info on the jack.  I was unaware of that as all the 16b pictures I've seen showed the speaker being hard wired.  I much prefer a plug-in connector.

Craig R

My 2 cents' worth, fwiw:

Yes, it is within the realm of possibility that this could have been modified at the factory...or that someone removed the original push-pull single shaft tuning assembly and installed a concentric control from a late version 16 or 144...

...but have you guys considered another possibility:

Someone could have taken a complete tuning condenser assembly (including dial drive) from a late version 144 and installed it in the 16 chassis. The tuning condenser would be the same (4-gang).

As to the speaker jack. I've never seen a 16 Code 121 that had a speaker jack, and the power transformer on Craig's chassis doesn't look hefty enough to be a Code 122 or 123. Those did have speaker jacks because they were used in consoles (Code 122) and chairsides (Code 123).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Could you take a photo of the back of the tuning condenser and pull the rectifier so that we can see the back of the tuning condenser? 

Also, what rectifier came with the set?

It did come with a Type 80 rectifier tube.  As for more pictures, I will have to wait until I get the radio back as it's currently being worked on.

Craig R

Here is a picture of the back of the tuning condenser (per above request).  Chassis restoration is now complete.

Craig R

Attached Files Image(s)

Two more observations:  The scale slide frame is held in place with hex screws with the except on one slotted screw; also the shaft below the main tuning shaft is milled and thus meant to contact a rubber wheel.

This is no factory mod; its a frankentuner.

Pete AI2V

Pete

Thanks for chiming in. Excellent observation, great catch. Icon_thumbup I had missed that one.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Now I'm confused as the chassis pic posted by Nathan and the pic I posted of my chassis both show the slotted screw in the upper left.  Two different chassis are in the posted photographs.

Craig R

Thanks for reminding me about this thread Craig.

I just finished my 3rd 16B (Code 121) chassis - and all three use one slotted screw in the upper left corner, 3x hex screws. Not saying that's conclusive either way about this particular chassis - just that in my experience the screws seem normal.

I just happened to remember that every 5-band 16 chassis I have ever worked on, with the exceptions (one or two) that had been messed with by other collectors, have had three hex screws and one slotted screw.

It has been a long time since I have worked on a 5-band 16 chassis...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN