Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 19 code 122....odd parts?

Ok, I have what I believe to be a model 19 code 122.  I ordered the schematics and info from Chuck (great stuff!!)
However upon examining the chassis, I have found a few abnormalities and I wanted to see if more experienced folks could shed some light on my confusion.

First.   In chassis picture 1.  There is a resistor (violet,green,red) hooked up between lug 6 and 8 of the condenser block labeled part 8.   Though there is a resistor labeled as being here on the schematic, the value is waaay off and it is not noted as being a larger 1 watt type.

Second.  In chassis picture 2.  There is what appears to be an aftermarket add on.   Though there is a resistor here in later schematic versions, code 122 does not show this part.  It is hooked up between the positive terminal of the electrolytic to the unused lug of condenser block 27.   This resistor is valued at 2.1K and essentially cuts across the coil of the shadow meter.....which has a value of 1400 ohms. But has 2000 written in pencil on it.   (perhaps the coil went open at one time and this was put in?)

Third.  In chassis picture 3.  Is what appears to be an original 1 watt resistor (red, black, red). connected to the end of the newly added .05 mfd condenser block (added for code 122 chassis and shown on schematic below).  However instead of it running to part 8 condenser block, it is mounted to the end of the aftermarket resistor on the unused lug along with one leg of the shadow meter coil.

I hope this is somewhat clear and those more experienced with Philcos and reading schematics can shed some light on these points for me.    I am using the schematic provided by Chuck Schwarts which closely resembles the THIRD schematic on this page...

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=15008

Thank you all for your help,  sorry for the drawn out post.

Attached Files Image(s)

~Jon~

The resistor connected to capacitor block 8, is the cathode resistor for the oscillator. Philco originally  used a 15K but, it is recommended to go down to a 10K or even 7500 ohm for reliable oscillator operation.

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Ok, I had read that and thought that may be the case. But there were several changes and I have definitely made mistakes in the past so I wanted to check.

Any thoughts on the other two oddities?

Thanks!

~Jon~