Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Emerson 250AW restore

The reason why it does that is that the filament in these sets (ac/dc) are connected in series along w/the lamp. The cold resistance of these is lower than when they are hot (after 10 or 15 seconds of warmup) Cold more current passes thru lamp yielding a brighter illumination. As the filament warms the resistance increase and less current passes thru the lamp yielding less brightness. That's the long answer.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Sounds good Bob. Mine dims out completely after a minute or two. I thought it would look pretty cool if it stayed even slightly lit.

Back to working on this Emerson 250AW.  I've toned the cabinet and started the gloss lacquer coatings.  Will have pics of that when I've finished it and put it all back together.  

When I was at Kutztown last May I came across a restored 250AW set by a fellow in the other pavillion.  I took his card but have managed to lose it and for the life of me can't remember his name.  His restorations were absolutely beautiful but the 250AW caught my eye since I was also working on one.  Here's a pic of his radio (not mine) which he gave me permission to photograph.  I'm sure Ron knows this fellow as he's been a regular at KTown.
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmn6av8wt5lw0w....jpg?raw=1]

What really caught my eye in addition to the nice finish was the treatment of the brass plates.  He painted them black and then took the paint off the raised lettering to give the really sharp looking brass on black look.  I thought I'd give that treatment a try and was pleasantly surprised by the first attempt.  First pic shows the brass plate painted black and the strip of 320 grit sandpaper on the pencil that I used to tease the paint off the raised lettering.  Its a slow process but not overly difficult. Its easy to sand off paint around the edges of the plate if not careful, but a small brush and touch up took care of that without having to start over.  When finished taking the paint off I just hit it with clear lacquer. That took care of protecting everything and adding gloss to the portions of the black paint that had gotten scuffed up. The other two plates are in progress.

[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qq3t158zcoiqg....jpg?raw=1]
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ybny5sr4fwebe....jpg?raw=1]

Really makes it POP!!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

(08-19-2017, 10:49 AM)klondike98 Wrote:  .......When I was at Kutztown last May I came across a restored 250AW set by a fellow in the other pavillion.  I took his card but have managed to lose it and for the life of me can't remember his name.  His restorations were absolutely beautiful but the 250AW caught my eye since I was also working on one........

Bob, I'm pretty sure that booth was Tom Hayes from Alabama, and he does do absolutely beautiful work.  He also sells on Radio Attic if you want to contact him...

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yup that is Tom..
Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Tom Hayes....OK! Thanks guys!

Its not Tom Hayes quality but I'm pleased with the way it did turn out.  Unfortunately mine does not have the back to it although it could be reproduced with some effort...but that's another day some time in the distant future Icon_biggrin

[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/553x6wvjhsiupl....jpg?raw=1]

Looks good Bob Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup 

The reason Tom's radios turn out so nice is he's an ex-car painter, so he has the equipment and skills to use it properly.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Yup,
 He is a perfectionist but yours is pretty much the same. It is a little more glossy but some pumice would make the finish just as smooth. Remember gloss shows more imperfections..

I think it is a beauty. There is one locally for $220.00 in not great condition... 
It will sit there for a long time..

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Very Profession job,,,,Keep up the Great work,,,CHEERS