Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ton of 1980s resistors... ok or no?

Someone (not from this site) offered me somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 assorted Allen-Bradley resistors still in original packaging. All from the 1980s. I've seen the warnings here against using NOS stock when repairing Philcos and other radios, but seems like later carbon resistors might be fine? What are your opinions regarding the reliability of 1980s NOS resistors?

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

They should be fine.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I too had the opportunity to get about 200 lbs of A-B carbon comp resistors about 15 years ago. They were manufactured in the mid 70's. 

Every one, so far, have tested right on the advertised. I've used hundreds of them.

Now, for you to find the Ohmite "Red Devil" storage drawers!.....

...Jim

Good luck with the project and all of us here are expecting a full report when you're finished.

Excellent, I'll grab them. I'll have far more than I'll ever need, haha!

There are a couple of Radio Shacks near me having going out of business sales. 90% off all parts, resistors are all gone of course, but I might ask them if they'll sell me the drawers.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Hello Wallace,
I do have those Ohmite "Red Devil" storage drawers and a lot resistors some very old but found is Allen-Bradley resistors
I have some that military spec and well they are near dead on still

If you can get them cheap enough I would buy them Allen-Bradley was a reputable brand, so was Wellwyn, if they are from the 1980s then I would not worry about drift as they had improved the manufacturing technology by then. If they were from the 1930s through 1950s it's a crap shoot, although A-B resistors less so. There were some carbon comp resistors from the late 1940s through 60s that were garbage, the type with the rough finished Bakelite housing for example, they go bad sitting in a drawer.
Regards
Arran

40 bucks for everything, half are military grade. Seemed good to me.

Greg

use them,, the mil-spec ones are they listed with a NSN?