Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help to Identify radio and parts
Wink 

Hello all, 

This is my first post. Last week I saved my grandmothers old philco radio from the dumpster. From the research I have done  it looks like a 1934 Model 14. I can not be certain of this as there is no identification on the radio or the chassis. What I know of the radio. It was purchased used by my uncle right before he went to WWII. My grandmother used this radio until the late 1970's as I remember her listening to it when I was young. My grandmother died in 1986 and this has remained in storage at my moms house since that time. I am not sure if any modifications have been done to this to allow it to play well into the 1970's or how original it is. The wiring underneath looks at some places burnt but I am not sure if this is normal.  Also Looking over the chassis there is one part I cant identify. It has a wire connecting to the tube and the underside looks hollow with multiple wires connected to it. Is this a capacitor that has lost its packing? I want to obtain the schematic for the radio but I want to make sure I get the right one. So any help in identifying this unit would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to return this unit to playable condition over time. Also if someone can tell me what that hollow part is that would be great.

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum. Picture number 3 The blue thing above and red thing below the metal can look like replacement filter caps. The rest of the set best I can tell looks  original.  More info on your set. David http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013134.pdf

Welcome. Looks like it could be a 17L also. Either way they only made 2200 of them. Well worth restoring.

(03-29-2017, 02:23 PM)KCMike Wrote:  Welcome. Looks like it could be a 17L also. Either way they only made 2200 of them. Well worth restoring.

Not a 17 the output tubes are in the wrong place.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi and welcome,
Think it's a model 14 code121. Here's a little cleaner diagram:  http://www.theoldradiofixerupperguy.com/...l14_91.pdf
Pretty dirty but that can be cleaned up. It's missing a #80 tube but don't need to run out and get as there some work to do beforehand.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Definitely a 14 - 14L, to be exact.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1933c.htm#b

The mid-late 1933 and early 1934 version. Not to be confused with the very early 1933 model 14LZX which had the same chassis as model 91.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(03-29-2017, 02:48 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Hi and welcome,
Think it's a model 14 code121. Here's a little cleaner diagram:  http://www.theoldradiofixerupperguy.com/...l14_91.pdf
Pretty dirty but that can be cleaned up. It's missing a #80 tube but don't need to run out and get as there some work to do beforehand.

Regarding the work to be done before I get a tube I know the first thing to do would be to replace the caps. In your expert opinion would you replace the wiring underneath as well?

Cloth wiring usually stays together pretty well,,,,,unless,,,it is rotten,,and falling off---the Black Blocks have capacitors inside them,,,which ,,looks like they have gotten a little warm,, to were the tar has came out of them,,,,take picture of what you mark,,,and label everything before starting to take apart,,buy way of schematic,,,CHECK all tubes,,,Before start up-- of unit after rebuilt--check all resistors,,coils and transformers (wires) & (current output),,,,Clean, clean, clean----HOPE this Helps,,,,CHEERS