Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TrueTone Model D9?

My brother in law picked this up at a flea market for me a couple years ago. I've never been able to find a thing about it anywhere.

Someone has one listed on ebay up in Canada, but they don't know anything about theirs, either! Mine looks exactly like this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-Antique-True...SwZQRYe927

Anyway, the (poorly applied) ink stamp on the back of the chassis says Truetone Model D9, followed by "C. R. *illegible* No. 236 *illegible*" and "Western Auto Stores".

It's a portable model that from the label inside had one A battery and two B batteries. It's a Five Tube.

Does anyone have a good resource for schematics or info about this? I'd like to tackle it after my Model 20 is done.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

What tubes are in it? You might compare these schematics against your chassis tube line up.
These are on Nostalgia air under western auto. D937 issue B --D938 issue A---940A & 940B
Not saying they are it, but I ran into a similar problem awhile back with a Western auto radio and found it under a different # than the one on my chassis.

C.R *illegible* likely stands for C.R.T, Continental Radio and Television, that was Admiral's pre war company name, and they used to manufacture lots of private label radios. If you run into a set that says B.R.C that stands for Belmont Radio Corporation, they too used to manufacture lots of private label radios. You could look on Nostalgia Air under Western Auto Supply, I think that they were listed in Riders under that name.
Regards
Arran

Tubes are 1A7, 1N5, 1H5, 3Q5 and a 70L7.

Whoever had this in their storage for however many years must have had an awful brown recluse problem. Yikes.

I see evidence of someone having been in here before me... there's a ground lead from the back of the speaker to the chassis that has a mess of solder on it from being done and redone. Lots of paper capacitors and dogbone resistors.

Many thanks for the Nostalgia Air plug, I'll have a look through. I have also seen a couple other models that I believe use the same chassis with different cases, so will investigate that avenue too.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

First four tube would be for a farm (battery) set. 70L7 is a rectifier and power amplifier never seen one before.  http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/093/7/70L7GT.pdf

If I'm right about the power supply in this set they may be connecting the battery tube filaments, in series with the cathode of the amplifier section of the 70L7 tube, it probably also has a dropping resistor in series with the heater of the 70L7 tube. I have one or two radios that work this way, it gives you much more audio power then the 3Q5 tube would.
Regards
Arran

(04-01-2017, 01:46 AM)Arran Wrote:  If I'm right about the power supply in this set they may be connecting the battery tube filaments, in series with the cathode of the amplifier section of the 70L7 tube, it probably also has a dropping resistor in series with the heater of the 70L7 tube. I have one or two radios that work this way, it gives you much more audio power then the 3Q5 tube would.
Regards
Arran

Do you think the old A and B batteries are critical for normal operation? The power supply is tiny, which I'd expect for a portable model. Though it does have a switch for battery operation or standard AC. The battery leads are actually in nice shape, so I was planning on desoldering them from their junction and reusing the wire elsewhere.

Greg

>Do you think the old A and B batteries are critical for normal operation?

Well depends. If you plan on operating from batteries yes it will.
For ac operation no it doesn't.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

(04-03-2017, 03:20 PM)WallaceRoger Wrote:  Do you think the old A and B batteries are critical for normal operation? The power supply is tiny, which I'd expect for a portable model. Though it does have a switch for battery operation or standard AC. The battery leads are actually in nice shape, so I was planning on desoldering them from their junction and reusing the wire elsewhere.

The "A" and "B" batteries are not necessary for operating the set on AC. Even so why would you need to reuse the wire from the battery leads, that are at most maybe a few feet in length. If they are in good shape I would leave them alone, if you need some cloth wire I would purchase some new stuff from Radiodaze, Sundial Wire, or elsewhere as it would hold up better once you start manipulating it.
   This sort of reminds me of what some radio collectors do with farm battery receivers, since they are battery powered they assume that the set is only good as a display item, and they chop the battery cables off. Why they can't just coil up the cable and stuff it in the back of the cabinet I have no idea? It's a real nuisance for someone like me who actually wants to restore and operate a set that has had this done to it, if only because they toss out the battery plugs along with the cable.
Regards
Arran

I think what you've got is a truetone 5N chassis. In the battery mode the filaments are powered by the A battery. In the ac mode the mixer, if amp, and det/1st audio are powered by the cathode voltage on the pentode side of the 70L7 thru R-11[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi..._crazy.gif]  A little odd but the rest is pretty standard fair.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...019682.pdf
Hey Mike, must have been a popular chassis as I found it as a BF Goodrich and a Spiegel too.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

(04-04-2017, 04:43 AM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  I think what you've got is a truetone 5N chassis. In the battery mode the filaments are powered by the A battery. In the ac mode the mixer, if amp, and det/1st audio are powered by the cathode voltage on the pentode side of the 70L7 thru R-11[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi..._crazy.gif]  A little odd but the rest is pretty standard fair.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...019682.pdf
Hey Mike, must have been a popular chassis as I found it as a BF Goodrich and a Spiegel too.

This looks exactly right! Thank you!

Greg

I found the 5N under Continental Radio and Television, definitely same unit as mine and the one from Spiegel catalog. Thanks again, guys.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...002989.pdf

Greg

I'm definitely showing my ignorance here, but I started looking at this, and I came to a part that I don't immediately recognize. What is this? It has a bit of thin copper wire wrapped around part of it (which is broken, so I imagine will need replacing).

A lot of the stuff in here is pretty crusty and not much room to work, but I'll get more room as I replace the big old electrolytic capacitors.

[Image: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b145/s...110922.jpg]

Greg

Does anyone know what this mystery (to me) part is?

Greg

(05-01-2017, 12:37 PM)WallaceRoger Wrote:  Does anyone know what this mystery (to me) part is?

Can you see where at least one end of it connects to?  See if its location corresponds with R11 (or maybe R12 or 13). 

From what I can make out it almost looks homemade.  Is it a piece that broke off from the part under the tape with the #4 on it ?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"