Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help to identify radio

My father recently bought this Philco radio and we are having a hard time to find out more about it. The model number is 3104 and I can't find it anywhere. It's like it doesn't exist. It would be nice to find some schematic drawings.
The other thing is the rectifier tube is blown. It is marked as 5AZ4. We found European equivalents for it, but those seem to have lower Amp ratings. If I could find an original tube, that would be great.
Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Image(s)

I love it. Wanna sell it or do a trade? Icon_biggrin

It looks like a 53-960 with a different cabinet.

I'll have to look and see if I have any other info on that model.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It looks like another version of the Philco 53-960.

Doesn't 53-960 have 5 knobs?
I think mine is the one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

yes...the center knob on the 53-960 is a radio-phono switch, I think...(at work so can't check right now)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

If you need a 5AZ4, here is a seller in Canada:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-5AZ4-Rectifie...SwB-1Yxu1L

If the 5AZ4 tube is blown there might be a reason for it, don't try powering it up without checking for a shorted filter cap first. The model number is probably a Philco Products of Canada model number, which is why you can't find it online, but it may be listed in the RCC manuals.
Regards
Arran

Thanks everyone!
That was really quick. You guys know your stuff.

(04-05-2017, 11:47 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  I love it. Wanna sell it or do a trade? Icon_biggrin

It looks like a 53-960 with a different cabinet.

I'll have to look and see if I have any other info on that model.

:-) I'm sure you could talk him into it, but I don't think you want to pay S+H from Hungary....

ummm...no. Icon_smile Now, if I hadn't just made a large purchase of a different electronic item, things might have been different.

Anyway...

The label indicates it was made in Canada, so the next step is to see if we can find Canadian documentation for it. And if Philco Canada documented their Tropic sets like USA Philco did, well...the answer is maybe or maybe not.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN