Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 660 antenna transformer

I'm restoring a Philco 660, after recapping and replacing out of tolerance resistors, I was able to receive 
Stations across all bands, but noticed that at the low end of the AM band reception was poor. I found the antenna transformer was open to ground.I would like some advice to repair the transformer as it 
Looks very delicate and I don't want to create more problems that exists now..thx...Gus

Welcome. Here is the schematic link for anyone that maybe can help you.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013828.pdf

Hi Gus and welcome,
Just a couple of quick notes. On my 660 I had a tracking/poor adjustment on the oscillator on the BC band. Note that the BC and Police oscillator trimmers are reversed on the original literature. It is referenced in the notes but you have to look for it. Drove me nutz for quite a while.

You may be able to find a replacement ant coil from Play Things Of The Past. Gary had a parts chassis (I got the osc coil which I didn't end up needing)

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

(04-05-2017, 01:15 PM)Gotte Wrote:  I'm restoring a Philco 660, after recapping and replacing out of tolerance resistors, I was able to receive 
Stations across all bands, but noticed that at the low end of the AM band reception was poor. I found the antenna transformer was open to ground.I would like some advice to repair the transformer as it 
Looks very delicate and I don't want to create more problems that exists now..thx...Gus

Unfortunately, the coil isn't just a single band coil. If it was you could use a Miller 70A. I have used the 70A to replace any single BC antenna coil. I have to agree with Radioroslyn about contacting Gary Schneider. Another possibility is Wilbur Gilroy. He seems to have a lot of older Philco parts available.

I sent Gary as message, he thought I could replace the defective section, I can't see how that can be done unless you get real lucky and can spot a broken winding on the surface of the coil and I can't
see anything broken..I'm hoping that he can help me out , I don't know Gary but hoping for the best. I also found that a Philco 665 uses the same coil..thanks for your help...Gus

If it is one-layer winding, it makes sense to repair it. Don't try to find the broken section and reconnect it; if it broke, it is for a reason - likely the corrosion - and needs to be fully replaced.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(04-06-2017, 03:06 PM)Gotte Wrote:  I sent Gary as message, he thought I could replace the defective section, I can't see how that can be done unless you get real lucky and can spot a broken winding on the surface of the coil and I can't
see anything broken..I'm hoping that he can help me out , I don't know Gary but hoping for the best. I also found that a Philco 665 uses the same coil..thanks for your help...Gus

Your pretty much stuck with using a coil from a 660 or 665. I believe that the 37 models are different. The 116 coil is close but has a little different coverage. Primary has a bunch of taps so it's going to be no walk in the park to rewind.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for all the replies,Gary came through with a replacement antenna coil.I can now receive stations
Across all bands and good sensitivity. I touched up the IFs and let it play. I have noticed that there is
a background hum that is noticeable durning a lull in the music or conversations. I am using a 25' wire 
for an antenna and grounding the chassis helps, is this normal? There is only about 3 volts ripple on the
Power supply. I also installed a 1.5 amp slow blow in the line,is that sufficient for power on surge?
Thanks for all the input....Gus

Could be rf interference from a charger. My fridge makes a loud hum in the radio when the compressor turns on. Double check the resistors around the volume control and the dress of the wiring. May have some heater to cathode leakage. Check that your bias filter cap is connected properly w/+ side to the chassis - side to the pt ct.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry