Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Antennas

I've been thinking about antennas for my Model 20 and other radio projects. I live in a high-rise apartment building, so running wires into an attic or to a roof aerial are out of the question.

However, the building I live in is a 1950s Mid Century deal of poured concrete with the outer wall entirely made up of floor to ceiling glass surrounded by steel framework/support. I'm thinking the whole building could be the antenna. Bonus is I have a direct, almost uninterrupted line to the towers that broadcast our stations just 5 miles away.

Could I run antenna leads to underneath the steel sill of my living room window and tap it in with sheet metal screws?

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Well, it depends on if the window frame is isolated from ground. Usually metal building structure is grounded down to the foundation for lightning protection.

If it is isolated, then it might be possible to use it for an antenna. You might try it and see how well it works.

Good point, will try and see what happens.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

(04-06-2017, 10:03 PM)WallaceRoger Wrote:  I've been thinking about antennas for my Model 20 and other radio projects. I live in a high-rise apartment building, so running wires into an attic or to a roof aerial are out of the question.

However, the building I live in is a 1950s Mid Century deal of poured concrete with the outer wall entirely made up of floor to ceiling glass surrounded by steel framework/support. I'm thinking the whole building could be the antenna. Bonus is I have a direct, almost uninterrupted line to the towers that broadcast our stations just 5 miles away.

Could I run antenna leads to underneath the steel sill of my living room window and tap it in with sheet metal screws?

I live in downtown LA and own several Philco's that need an aerial to operate. I took a 25' length of cloth covered hookup wire and moved it around to get the best reception. I ended up running it under my sofa. I pick up stations all across the dial. I did need to do a good alignment to as well as found the ground was a necessity on the 20 and 21. I connected the ground to the AC outlet safety ground. My building is concrete (which means a lot of rebar) and uses all steel framing, under the sheet rock. My window frames are aluminum, which means they won't work as an aerial.