Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GE A-70 vernier operation

I am having trouble understanding the operation of the vernier control on my GE A-70. I took it apart and cleaned, lubricated it and re-installed it with along with re-stringing the rotating dial. Everything works great except the pointer does not move during fine adjustment. There is only one shaft which I think should automatically switch from fine to coarse when the pin hits the stop on the rear of the control (I attached photos showing the pin and tab).

If I place the tab on nut into the slot on the front of the vernier it prevents the control from switching to coarse and limits the dial travel.  However it appears from my photo of the original set up that the tab is in the slot so I am confused. can anyone shed some light on how this control is supposed to be set up.

Thanks,

Steve D

The tab does look like it belongs in the slot. I see a snap ring in the original photo. Was that just holding what appears to be a dust cover or is something possibly missing?

Thanks for you response. I don't see a snap ring and don't remember one when I took it apart.  What appears to be a dust cover I think was actually some dust itself.  The whole vernier was clogged up with dust.

Steve D

I solved this issue by adjusting the three clamping screws to get the proper preload on the ball bearings. I had the screws tightened down too much. The tab does indeed need to be in the slot to prevent rotation of the vernier body and then the screws adjusted for proper operation. This vernier control is intuitive and works very well when adjusted properly.

Steve D