Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-690 electronics restoration.

Tbone
Thanks for answering.

I'm not sure I understood.
There's a photo of the front of the tuner chassis (if this is what you meant) on the page 1 of this thread, and the only shafts (pins for the bumper grommets) there are all have the grommets on them, a different kind.

Also I don't see any rails: the chassis sits on the wood shelf directly (with the cushioning grommets underneath).
Could you somehow show what you have?

And is there the single screw at the center of the back of the chassis that holds it? If yes what size/length is it?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Sorry my bad, I thought you were talking about the sub chassis. As far as I know, nothing but the wood brackets hold the chassis from sliding down the shelf. Yes those bumpers are use to cushion the chassis. I'll look and let you know. Mine's been out of the cabinet for a while so I forget.

Right now I am mainly interested in what holds exact position of the tuner chassis so the shafts and the autotuning align as supossed to. Otherwise the chassis slides back about 1/4" or maybe less but still not enough to put knobs on.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

OK, if you look at the picture of the chassis in my photo album, you will see that the gum rubber bumpers you have go into the block of wood and push the chassis up forward into the cabinet more. This should give you enough of the shafts poking out to install the knobs. The 1/4" carriage bolt holds most of the weight, but there are two small holes in the block for wood screws. They will keep the block from turning once it's in the final position.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152428891@...ed-public/

Yes I was looking at your pics and noticed one between the block and the chassis.
Maybe this is it.

Well....sounds pretty amazing.

There are things I let slide.
This will do. But it plays very well, even with patched woofer.

Congrats on getting the radio finished. Looks good. Icon_thumbup

Glad you got her done. You certainly worked hard on this radio and should be proud of your accomplishment! Now is the season for Christmas music and will sound great on that radio!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kSTP0-Kc-JI

If you have good speakers with the computer or earbuds, this is the 690 playing the local station.
If you don't, then don't waste time, the sound over a computer speaker or from a tablet is not adequate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ROEYm5Kw2kg

Here I demo the AFC.

PS. I speak some Russian there so ... Icon_smile
PPS. the 1st AFC demo fails as another station mixes itself in. Then it goes fine.

(12-18-2017, 11:31 PM)morzh Wrote:  If you have good speakers with the computer or earbuds, this is the 690 pkaying the local station.

How about...my computer, connected to my Kenwood KA-5500 amp, and Bozak E-300 speakers connected to that? Icon_biggrin

Through the Bozaks, your 38-690 sounds great! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yep, the Bozaks did it! Icon_lol

What a beauty! Great job bringing this one back.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

That radio sounds great! As for speaking Russian, back in the day your radio probably heard real Radio Moscow broadcasting. I always think about a radios past history. Who was the first owner, what programs did it hear, and how impressed the people that heard a radio like that were.
If fact, the station labels are cool as they can give insight as to where the radio originally was. Yours looks like Midwest and Canadian stations were setup.

Great job, you'll enjoy it for years!

So now what's next?

Short break: today's my first vacation day, had to burn 6 days before the year's end. Then....not sure, could be the 96 in que, could be my pair of HF-22 Eico amps. Mulling.

One more which I also shot that day but did not uplad as it was late.

Demo reception across the BC band without antenna (in the basement) and with me touching the antenna screw to show how the reception changes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F6UM5Kw7miA