Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-690 electronics restoration.

Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

See, I am still saying the same thing three years later! Icon_lol The facts do not change...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

Oh, thanks. I found your post from 2014 and posted it, then saw your reply Icon_smile.

The only thing is, the original transformer has the fuse holder.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Can't catch a break.
As I also need the tweeters connected I took them off.
The cones aren't good. Though electrically both are ok. One is patched and one is warped - likely water.

Well, after the power-up with no sound......the interstage transformer is also shot. Also the primary. Open.
(More sighs here).

This is in addition to some  sipping under the vanity in the powder room and the Schrader valve from my rear passanger wheel having cone off together with the cap when I tried to check the pressure in it. No inflating that one.

When it rains, it pours, and the frogs get strangled. Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well, it's official: need to rewind two transformers.
The Output and the Interstage. Both have bad primaries.

I think I'll bother Heyboyer.

is the PP xfrmr you mentioned earlier somewhat universal?

also, on your other transformers you are going to rewind,,, is your primary on the outside ?

Yes, it is universal - I even thought of yanking it out of the clam shell and trying to fit it into the original hardware (the mount holes are just 1/8" or so farther apart on it).

I am not sure about where the primary is on the interstage - it is fully encased and if I am to send it to Heyboyer, I'd rather they deal with it.

Member named Diverted rebuilt this one with Heyboyer in 2015.

So....roughly speaking I am looking at:

1. re-coning all speakers (one tweeter may be more or less ok but it does have repairs and then if one is reconed and the other is not then there will be differences in the acoustic characteristics between them) - $40/ea, then the woofer recone - $75, obviously with shipping, which promises to be significant (large woofer, at least 10lbs by itself) - $200 guesstimated total.
2. Two Heyboyer jobs, possibly $170 plus shipping, roughly $200 guessed total.

$400 or so in extra expenses.
Well.....I got this one cheap! For a reason, now that I know it Icon_lol

morzh
I have a interstage transformer from a 37-116, Philco part number 32-7057n. Would this work for you. It reads o k with a ohm meter.
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Joe,

It is super-kind of you to offer me that.
If it did, I'd decline as I have two spare chassis for 37-116 and it is likely at least one of them is good Icon_smile

But sadly, no, it won't fit as 37-116 has a simple interstage to drive two 6B4 or 6A5 and no tweeter output winding.
Not only that but to drive 6L6 you need different turn ratio from 6B4 anyway, this is why even 37-116 and 38-116 transformers are not interchangeable Icon_sad

Thanks very much anyway.

Mike.

Shipped both transformers to Heyboer today.
We'll see how it goes from here.

day late dollar short, found the transformers you needed from outside the forum.

Is it your intention to sell this radio when complete?

No...it is not. At least so far I do not sell the radios I restore.

Today will ship the speakers out. Put in in the trunk today, packed those speakers real well. Just the shipping is gonna cost me......

the speakers----just Drive them down to Collingswood,,,not far 1 hour ride

I don't have that one hour during working days. And.....the total for the two boxes came out to $28. I will pay half that just for gas.
Plus 2.5 hrs of my time.