Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-690 electronics restoration.

Aw come on it about 1/2 hr from me could stop in and say hi

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

YES,,,I understand the reasoning,,,,A Lot of time that could be used elsewhere,,,,I don't blame you,,,, Cheers

Sam

Lucky you. Icon_smile
If I knew hen you are home I would.
How bout yous two drop by? The pool's open, the beer's cold, the pool table's ready for action.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well one out of three  not bad
Will bring my beer and no pool thank you. pool table ok 
Some day when Im Not working  Icon_problem

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

See ya in a couple of years!!![Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_lol.gif]

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Sam, you party-pooper you.

Terry

He means retirement.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Rich called, said he has no 14" cones and he's not aware of anyone making them​. Suggested a ring and a 12" cone.
I suggested a patch, as he of all people could make it well, he agreed.

The tweeters he said are ok to recone.

Speakers came from Sound Remedy. Rich did a great job plus he patched my woofer for free, only having charged me $80 for the two tweeters reconing.

Now the transformers. Promised by Heyboer for the mid-July or so.

Mike;
  At least tire valve stems are cheap to replace, of course you have to dismount the tire from the rim to replace it normally.
  With regard to the interstage transformer, does this set use a class A-B power amp, with a third triode driving it, a pair of triodes driving it, or is it a class A amp?
Regards
Arran

The interstage has to be CLASS A, as it is one pentode 6F6 driving the primary of the transformer which in turn drives the 6L6 pushpull and the tweeters directly​.
As for the tire valve, no it ain't cheap, it is the whole assembly for the pressure sensor. Aftermarket is $90 apiece, which is what I did, otherwise OEM in my dealership is $200 apiece.

I need some break.
Not sure why I am being punished but both transformers came.....incorrect.
I will call them tomorrow, and will or will not publish the results pending their willingness to remedy the situation.
It took 1-1/2 month and.....this.

Sigh.

I shipped the transformers on 6/13. Today it's been the 3d try to fixing them.

Sigh.

Been 4 months.

Good grief.

The output transformer still has the centertap leaded and one plate lead goes to the fuse. How'm I gonna solder to it?
OK, I'll short the fuse and put an nline fuse to the CT.

I am very sad. It's been three (3) shipping back and forth. I ain't shipping for the 4th time.

Mike;
  Time to go to contact Edcor and see about ordering a new one from them, it won't look the same but the impedances will probably be correct. If they have to build a custom transformer they will apparently refund the engineering charge if they find the specs for your transformer on file.
Regards
Arran

Arran,

That's the thing: I do have a transformer I bought for mere $20 or so, a 20W rated 4 ohm to 6,600 ohm PP.
I was hoping to install the original. And....I guess (now that they got the impedance straightened out after 3rd try) I could uee it, but soldering won't be nice.

I think I will suggest tbis xfmr being discounted, as I spent over $40 just for shipping.

OK. It lives!

Last Sunday I installed the interstage (guess what, the wire colors were correct!) and today I installed the output xfmr. Yes it is ugly as I had to solder external inline fuse.
Then attached the tweeters, the woofer. Thought of powering up tomorrow but decided today. It took it about over a minute if not two to warm up: while some reaction was there when touching the grid caps, a full fleged hum appeared after that much time. And then I pulled the local station loud and clear. No music so cannot judge the tweeters and the quality but the speech is good.
More tomorrow.