Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco radio

Hey guys found a Philco 37-610 tombstone at a antique store . The crazy price on the radio was $275.00. I thought WOW! What are they thinking.... I have had one of these sets before and the are good players But that price is crazy. The Philco for sale was not even redone as far as the electronics. The one I bought way back when was only $45.00. I guess I should of kept it. Boy have prices changed, or they think they have a golden nugget! How many of you guys have this set in your collection? I will let them sit on the radio a while and see what happens.

$275 is at least $225 too high.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

+1 what Steve said.

I owned a 37-610B about 300 years ago. It wasn't a bad set as I recall. I think the photofinish was missing, and this was long before I knew any better, so...I attempted to recreate the photofinish pattern with stains, followed by a slap-on-the-poly finish. Icon_thumbdown Like I said, though...this was before I knew better.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

+2. Exactly $225 too high.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

+3......... Icon_eh

Let me brag that I bought a 37-610 bullet for $10 off craigslist last December..... dirty and needy, but restorable.
I also have a 37-610 tombstone I bought for $55. I found it needed a new transformer.

I picked up a 37-610 tombstone for $50, and it turned out to have a 38-624 6v battery set in it. Icon_wtf
Later, I picked up a 37-610T "Bullet". The 38-624 would have originally been in the bullet. So eventually I will do a cabinet swap so both chassis will be in proper cabinets. Icon_thumbup

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

(04-13-2017, 05:51 PM)PhilcoJohn Wrote:  Hey guys found a Philco 37-610 tombstone at a antique store . The crazy price on the radio was $275.00. I thought WOW! What are they thinking.... I have had one of these sets before and the are good players But that price is crazy. The Philco for sale was not even redone as far as the electronics. The one I bought way back when was only $45.00. I guess I should of kept it. Boy have prices changed, or they think they have a golden nugget! How many of you guys have this set in your collection? I will let them sit on the radio a while and see what happens.

John,
PM sent
Steve

I have a 1936 610. Paid about $60, if I remember correctly, back in the late 90's, in good working condition. It was the last year before the photofinish, and had been refinished, not the best job but acceptable. It had been repaired many times along the way with various replacement capacitors and resistors from the 50's-90's. I actually just went in again and replaced a bunch of them. It's one of my favorite radios in terms of performance- I have a piece of 3 foot wire connected to it, hanging down to the floor and I have no trouble getting any station I could ever want to receive. Lots of volume and very nice tone for a fairly small speaker.

Not worth $275 by any means. Lots of antique stores seem to think having a wooden radio means it must be worth a fortune. This summer I saw a little wooden Silvertone AC/DC tabletop for sale, 1947 model with pushbuttons... I had one I paid $20 for 15 years ago. This one? $195. Madness.

Antique stores probably price these with the hopes of snagging an impulse buyer. To be honest, when I started in this hobby I was pleasantly surprised how affordable antique radios are.

Antique stores cater to an occasional person who wants to create the atmosphere of days gone by, not necessarily a radio collector. This, creates different market and different pricing.
So when a radio collector ventures into an antique store and sees a radio, he is likely to disagree with the asking price.
An antique treasure hunter, for whom it is likely a one-time buy, to furnish a man's cave, or a theme room, or who is an interior designer who will be handsomely compensated by the customer and for whom the price margin is much wider, will not mind paying that price.

Swap meet is a good place for a radio collector to shop. Not antique store. Not without exception, but still.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.