Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

crazing repair

Anyone know of a good product that could be used to help repair crazing on the top/front panel on my 38-116 Philco?
I have read that some have had luck with rubbing it down with something that will kind of meld the lacquer finish, followed by a coating of clear lacquer.
Really don't feel like refinishing it as the rest of the cabinet is in excellent condition.
murf

Not dure if I should say this as I don't know for sure, but doesn't laquer thinner usually do this? It is the clear laquer on top doing this and usually laquer thinner will soak into it and could meld it together. Or light sand and put another clear coat over the top would probably fix it, the top coat should melt into the laquer already on it and look better. Hopefully someone with a little more experience will chime in and know if these two suggestions can work.

Hey murf, I have had good luck with Howards Restore-a-finish...I have done 5 or 6 consoles that where in good shape with crazing and it took some of the crazing away. Ive got 2 37-116's(one standard dial, one deluxe) and a 38-116 that I will be during this treatment to...I go over the entine cabinet with non pumice GOJO and 0000 steel wool...Going with the grain of the wood to take all the grime and scuffs that come with most cabinets...Then I clean the cabinet with Murphy's oil soap...I let the cabinet set for a couple days to dry out and wipe it down again with an old t-shirt because there will be some leftover GOJO residue that will come out after the cabinets sits...I then go small areas at a time with walnut Howards until it is all covered and then buff with a microfiber rag...Then onto a coat of Johnsons paste wax...Turns out beautiful...

A picture would help.
 Crazing in what level? cracks? whitening? peeling? missing?
Howards for cracks and whitening.
Then feedNwax
For cracking with finish loss a lot of people use alcohol with shellac.
I reflow but I would not di it if this is your first time...
Again, a picture will get a much better answer Icon_smile

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Just cracks,
I think I will try Howards and a coat of Howards wax as you suggested.
Thanks,
murf