Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-180 veneer

I would like to do some veneer repair in a few spots on the top of my 40-180.
Can anyone suggest a place where I can purchase the proper veneer to use.
From some previous posts I have read, I believe I need Walnut ?
The cabinet has been shellacked at some time in it's life but I need to repair these issues first.
I measured the thickness at around .030"
I appreciate any assistance with this, this is my first post and my first Philco.
Thank you,
Jerry

Attached Files Image(s)

It's called French walnut, and it's the plain cut type you want, not the quarter cut type.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran,
Can you tell me what the difference is between plain vs quarter cut type and a possible supplier ?
Thank you,
Jerry

On flat (plain) sawn wood you can see the "face" grain.  On true quarter sawn wood you can see the growth rings.

Here's an example of two cuts ("slab" = flat or plain) :

[Image: http://d2vhprqki2fot3.cloudfront.net/exp...qsawn2.jpg]

Thanks for the explanation John
Jerry

Actually there are three ways to cut veneer, plain cut, quarter cut, and a third called rotary cut, rotary cut is usually what you will find in construction grade plywood, if in doubt I would just look on some websites that sell veneer for a veneer that matches. For buying I would try ebay, search under French Walnut veneer and see what they have that is close. Other then that you would have to order from a specialty outfit like Constantines. In my opinion I think that this veneer could probably be repaired, if you had some scrap material laying around to make patches with, there is a bit of trick to it to have them blend in though.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for the additional info.
Perhaps I didn't word my original post correctly as I would like to try to patch the damaged areas vs. doing a whole sheet. Unfortunately I do not have any scrap materials. I know it's not going to end up perfect overall as this is my first experience on the cabinet end of things. It would be nice to find some period correct scraps but I would not know where to look.
Thank you,
Jerry

There is also, "rift cut". Oak is often rift cut, Walnut and some other veneers are sometimes rift cut. A rift cut is an angle cut between plain and quarter,

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Perhaps someone has some scraps they could donate from a trashed cabinet?
Regards
Arran

Jerry, PM me with your address and I can send you some small scraps of walnut veneer from old cabinets.