Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Toner color questions

This is my first attempt at using toners vs stain and gloss lacquer topcoat.

I'm working on this Sears and Roebuck Silvertone 6425:

[Image: https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com...4768_n.jpg]

This is it after stripping, sanding etc...two coats of sealer and waiting for another sanding, gran filling and sealing.

I'm liking the base color as is, but the left and right top and the accents/base were a darker color originally.

[Image: http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images...4e169a.jpg]

What color toner(s) do you all suggest?

I'm assuming that when ready I mask those sections and apply the toner then topcoat in clear?

PS- I was also thinking about making the interior sections of the grill darker as well. Would that be sacrilege? Will the restoration Gods strike me down?

I think that the toners used were light walnut over the bulk of the cabinet, except the grille, and medium to dark walnut (not extra dark) on the shoulder sections at the top, and at the base. In answer to your question about the grill bars, those appear to be solid walnut so I would put them back to the way it left the factory, with no toner. If it was cheap wood like poplar I would say to go for it but this is one of those rare occasions in which it is real.
Regards
Arran

(04-17-2017, 03:32 AM)Arran Wrote:  I think that the toners used were light walnut over the bulk of the cabinet, except the grille, and medium to dark walnut (not extra dark) on the shoulder sections at the top, and at the base. In answer to your question about the grill bars, those appear to be solid walnut so I would put them back to the way it left the factory, with no toner. If it was cheap wood like poplar I would say to go for it but this is one of those rare occasions in which it is real.
Regards
Arran

Excellent! Just the sort of advice I was looking for. Thanks!

(04-17-2017, 03:32 AM)Arran Wrote:  I think that the toners used were light walnut over the bulk of the cabinet, except the grille, and medium to dark walnut (not extra dark) on the shoulder sections at the top, and at the base. In answer to your question about the grill bars, those appear to be solid walnut so I would put them back to the way it left the factory, with no toner. If it was cheap wood like poplar I would say to go for it but this is one of those rare occasions in which it is real.
Regards
Arran

Would I apply Light Walnut over everything including the shoulders and base and then apply medium/dark over the top of that?