Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crosley 819M

I've decided to start a separate subject about this radio as the more I look up about it, the stranger mine seems to be. It turns out most I am seeing have transformers and use two 5Y3 rectifiers where mine has two 25Z6's, though stick with the two 25L6 tubes. Mine definitely left the factory as a transformerless set, but I noticed the chassis is stamped and drilled for a transformer and (a bit of a nitpick of mine) Crosley went from two, to only one dial light which on mine is basically a night light bulb. The dial is stamped for two and they really should have used two. Also, it seems certain versions also had an internal antenna that could be adjusted from the front where mine only has a basic ground and antenna wire. Ok, what on earth did I pick up here? Icon_wtf  It also appears that other than a new cord and alignment, this radio hasn't been touched under the chassis, yet it works like a champ, is clean inside, and the tubes are all good.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Riders shows both schematics on page Crosley 11-38.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/632/M0003632.htm

I'd say you picked up the transformerless version of the 819M.   Icon_biggrin

Nice find!  I think that's one of the more handsome linear-dial consoles built!

-Rodney

Look at it this way no power transformer to burn out! At worst if the filters short you would just have to replace them and two rectifier tubes. No expensive transformer! And as long as it doesn't develop a close relationship w/your rubber duck[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smilies/heart.gif] there will not be any issues with bath time electrocution!![Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_lol.gif]

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It is kind of interesting, I don't think I've seen a company make both a transformer and non-transformer set with basically the same chassis layout.  I also wonder why Jays version doesn't have the same antenna as the set with a transformer, yet the non-transformer set has magnetune and the other one doesn't.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Jayce;
  After looking at the schematic I think I know why I passed on buying one of these, it was the fact that it was a console with a big cabinet, and a big chassis, without many tubes. If I'm not mistaken the two 25Z5s are connected as a voltage doubler, probably for full wave rectification rather then simply higher B+ voltage.
Regards
Arran

The tranformerless aspect along with the over-sized cabinet and chassis is what first attracted me to this radio. I like sort of odd-ball sets. This set will be definitely be staying in the collection when I (hopefully) get to thin out this year. I played it for over an hour last evening with no issues, other than noise from whatever our new neighbors installed in the house just down the road from us. Been getting new noises and crap on my radios that I never had before they moved in and installed the new aerator septic system. I am just going to enjoy the radio for now. If it starts showing signs of issues, I'll get it recapped. Looks like it wouldn't be a hard job.

No matter where you go, there you are.