Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO 91 225 IDENTIFICATION

Hello, my name is Stephen.  I've always loved the old tube type radios.  Currently, the only other tube type radio that I have is a Kenwood TS-830S.  I joined this group today, hoping to identify an old Philco which I had recently purchased for $35.  I believe it to be a model 91X, but cannot find anything online which matches it perfectly to confirm my belief.  Mine is chassis 91 225.  It is BC band with no 3rd position on on/off switch, and 2 speakers.  The chassis codes that I can find are as follows:
Codes 121 and 123 - single band, single speaker
Code 221 - single band, dual speaker
Code 126 - dual band, single speaker
Code 226 - dual band, dual speaker
I can find nothing on the 225.   
The unit appears to be complete, and I would like to bring it back to life, and refinish the cabinet.  This would be my first attempt at doing such a thing.   Attached are some photos.

2nd try photostream

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I moved your thread into the Home Radio section.  Your photo link did not work so please try again.

As for restoring your set, you can get lots of help here.  Read through some of the threads to get an understanding of what you might be facing.  Start a thread in the electronics section for restoring your chassis and in the cabinet section for restoring the cabinet. Lots of info on how to do thing that are Phorum related also.

Thank you, Bob. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of research on this site, as well as research on how to make my flickr photos, public. I created an account, and tried adding links to my post, but it's not working.

Hi SJHJR,

I can see the two pictures you posted. It is similar to this model:

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1933b.htm#y

I don't believe I have heard of a Code 225 before. I would like to see more pictures of the chassis, especially to see whether it has the large single tube shield over the RF & IF tubes, or if it has the individual cylindrical tube shields as used in the late versions of the 91.

No, the picture in the link above does not exactly match your set. I have known for some time that there are 91X cabinets like yours, but no one has ever sent a picture of one for the Gallery. Icon_sad I hope you will do so, it would be most appreciated. Nathan (one of our mods) is working on a brand new Gallery for us, and pictures one of these 91X models would be a welcome and needed addition. I would guess your particular 91X cabinet was probably produced sometime between late 1932 and early to mid 1933.

Model 91 was originally introduced in June 1932. It was also included in Philco's new 1933-34 model lineup (June 1933), but was deleted from the line by July 1933.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yes I too can now see the photos, thanks.  This is really interesting.  Having a set that Ron hasn't seen before is exciting.  We'll be looking forward too understanding what the code 225 includes and including the pics in the gallery.

I think I figured out this flickr thing... maybe. Attached SHOULD be a link to more photos.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/76078915@N07/8946BL

yes, those new photos show up just fine.

Finished!  Updated album of our first restoration attempt of our Philco 91-225.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/76078915@N07/

Great looking set!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap
Very cool.

Very nice radio and restoration  Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_thumbup

Looks Good![Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...n_clap.gif]
If I wanted to be critical the dial escutcheon shouldn't be polished, it least it wasn't when new so I've heard. It might be a matter preference.

de N3GTE

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

First of all, I would like to thank all who commented on our first restoration attempt.

Radioroslyn, thank you for the input.  It wasn't actually polished, but cleaned with steel wool.  Is there a way that you are aware of, to restore it to what the original finish looked like?  If so, I would like to do that. Also, I just noticed the N3GTE...

Next up, we are going to attempt redoing a 1940 RCA Victor model 110K. I hope that I'm permitted to say "RCA" in this forum... LOL

de N3GTO

I agree with what Terry said regarding your restoration.

The escutcheon can be brought back to a correct appearance by carefully spraying it with Extra Dark Walnut toning lacquer, letting it dry for several days, and then carefully polishing only the highlights with a good brass polish (not steel wool). Follow that up with some clear lacquer and that escutcheon will look good for many years.

RCA did you say? Of course you may say RCA! Icon_biggrin This year I rediscovered RCA after nearly 40 years (my very first complete radio was an RCA 5T1 tombstone, and I no longer own it). I now have a C15-3 console and three tombstones: T7-5, 6T2 and 9T and working on acquiring an 8T as well. In fact in the "Other Radios (Non-Philco)" section of this Phorum, you will find a thread by me about the chassis restoration of my T7-5, and other threads about the ongoing cabinet restorations of my 6T2 and T7-5.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

>Is there a way that you are aware of, to restore it to what the original finish looked like?  If so, I would like to do that.
If it were mine I would remove it from the cabinet, give it a good clean w/something to remove any wax or oils. Then give it a coat or two of toned lacquer (med walnut) to diminish the brightness.

> Also, I just noticed the N3GTE...
When you post that you had a Kenwood something or other I did a little sleuthing and found your call. I was surprised that are calls are just a few letters off but I've had mine since 2/89. 1st licensed as a novice 30 yrs ago this month as KA3TSY and got the 'GTE call when I upgraded to Tech. It's nice and short on CW so I kept it.

>Next up, we are going to attempt redoing a 1940 RCA Victor model 110K. I hope that I'm permitted to say "RCA" in this forum... LOL
But of course just post under Other Radios. We are a nondiscriminatory Phorum[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi..._angel.gif]

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry