Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 680 (late)

I thought I would post this here as I know there aren't all that many of these floating around. (much too heavy, right?  Icon_wink )

I picked this one up in January from a collector near Denver. I'm not sure if he is on the Philco Phorum or not? The finish is in fair condition. Dry and flaky, but I don't think I will refinish it. As usual, the rubber dampeners on the clarifiers are melted. Has anyone made replacements for them?

This is one Phat Philco and after wrestling with getting the chassis in and out of an early 680X, this one will be a welcome relief. Icon_biggrin

I sure do like those 1936 oval dials!

-Steve

Attached Files Image(s)

Steve

Great find and great radio! Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you, Ron!
I remember talking about it with you when I was visiting. Just thought I would post some pics.

Definitely a keeper.

-Steve

That's a great radio Steve!

Very nice radio.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Steve

Yes, I remember your mentioning it, so I really appreciate your posting pictures of it. Those are indeed great radios, and I think the late version like yours is a bit less common than the early version with the dial and controls under the top lid. Although, neither version could be considered "common", in numbers, looks, or quality.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Very impressive radio, would love to restore one. Lucky you!

Gregb

Steve,
Nice radio! I would definitely, not refinish that cabinet. Better to have a less than perfect one, than a freshly refinished one... I have both types in my collection. Sometimes you can't avoid refinishing. This one should clean up real nice!
Steve
Smile 

Ok Steve what the heck are you doing with  a Philco!! Icon_biggrin   Nice radio!

Steve, i agree, its certainly better to have a less than perfect original finish than a perfect refinish. Its going to stay as is.

Dave, Oh, I have a few Philcos in my collection. Top end models like the 680X are keepers Icon_biggrin

Good to see so many familiar names here!

-Steve

Very nice set!  I picked on up at the Kingston NY auction a few years ago.  That one had a missing speaker replaced with a newer one and no clarifiers.

If you can take pictures of the way the rear speaker/clarifiers are mounted, I'd like to replicate it on mine.  I have the parts, its just how they are placed in the cabinet that I need to see.

Steve

I can remember seeing that radio when I visited you years back. I seem to recall I was mentioning that version of the 680X, only to turn around and see yours sitting right behind me! Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

Nice radio, Steve! Is in great condition!