Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

shadow meter adjustment

I am trying to adjust the shadow meter on an early 16B. I have read and reread Philco Repair Bench instructions on doing this but one question remains- how do I get hold of the dang coil to move it back and forth and rotate it? I had to take the bottom off just to get enough grip on it to prove to myself that it actually will move. Is there a tool that fits in the small slots on the side of the coil? Thanks folks,
Doc

I don't know that the coil can be moved. It's got a bracket over it that pretty much locks it in place. The only adj I've done is making sure the lamp is in the proper place. Maybe I'm missing something.

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/attachment.php?aid=11689]

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I don't think the coil should be touched.
Why would you try to move it?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

If you could move it you still can't change the position it sits above the vane, that's fixed.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The Philco Repair Bench instructions which mention rotating the coil are referring to the newer style of shadow meter found on 37-XXX and newer Philcos.

Your 16B (should) have the older 'box' style shadow meter with a coil like the one Terry posted - or see the same repair bench link. The only thing you can adjust there is the lamp position (gently bend the arm) - and possibly the filament orientation (rotate the bulb).