Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 66 volume control

I purchased a model 66 that someone was restoring and the volume control is missing. The chassis calls for a Philco # 33-5006, 350K, audio taper, with switch. Unfortunately, I can not locate a replacement control. However I do have a Philco 250K, audio taper, with switch that I can use. In the past I have replaced volume controls with pots with a slightly higher or lower value, but never replaced one that is 100K lower than it should be. I know it will work, but am questioning if there might be problems down the road.

Also I noted that all of the schematics I have checked, the connection that should be there to feed B+ to the 1st AF is not shown. I know where to make the connection to fix this, but has anyone else ever noticed this?

I am encountering these issues because as I said, someone had been working on this chassis and left it an incomplete mess.

Thanks guys.

Yes 250K will work fine. The worst that would happen is that it will lower the gain of the 1st audio stage, in this case it will undetectable (a little radio lingo).

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the reply. I did wire it in to test it and it did work. I just wasn't sure if it might cause some problem later. Yes, I did catch your pun on detection....

Radiios are pretty forgiiving in the audio sections. A quick sub with what you have on hand usuallyis successful.