Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Where Can I Buy a Replacement PM Speaker?

I sent the speaker from my 37-61 to be restored and the person lost it. It's hard to believe, but he's been promising it since January, and I don't think I'll ever see it again.

Rather than replace with an incorrect field coil speaker, I'll likely just do a PM replacement. The distance between the holes (across the speaker) is 7 5/8". Does anyone know who sells new 8 Ohm PM speakers?

I have attached a photo of the speaker cavity in the cabinet.

Thanks, Barry

Attached Files Image(s)

Ebay sells tons of PM speakers. And they are not too expensive, unlike FC type, as they are abundant.

Who is it who loses his customers speakers?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi Barry and welcome,
The standard size that you'll find is an 8" but as I remember the size is about right but the screw hole don't line up to the holes in the cabinet. So a little bit of creativity may be need to fit the new pm speaker. When looking you'll find two different styles, round and pincushion. The pincushion looks like the original but I'm not sure if the round might be easier to redrill the mounting holes. Do you need an output transformer??

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It would be better to go back with an original Philco speaker. The original was an S-7. They turn up on eBay regularly or try placing an ad in the Phorum classified.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Also keep in mind that putting a PM speaker in will require doing something about the missing FC that acts as a filter choke plus dropout resistor of large dissipating capacity.
Which is either fitting in a large choke or a large resistor of 1.14kOhm.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Gary at PlaythingsofThePast sent me this list:

4696-739 PHILCO 7 5/8" 1.2K FC,NO OPT TRANS,NEW CONE 1 0.00
4696-808 PHILCO K-21 7 5/8"RNDISH,1.2k FC, OPT BAD 1 0.00
4696-842 PHILCO 7 5/8" 1.2K FC, 32-7019 OPT, REPR'S. 1 0.00
4696-870 RCA 810K 1.2K FC, 6 1/2" RND,HORZ BRKT 1 0.00
4696-932 PHILCO 7 5/8 1.2K FC, 32-7019 OPT,NEW CONE 1 0.00

I am thinking the 4696-932 looks like the best one since this one includes a output transformer and it appears to be refurbished. Before ordering I'll send him the picture of the cabinet again and make sure it should fit. I'll wait for any comments from this post before I ask him though.

The person who lost our speaker is located in West Virginia. He was recommended by radio/typewriter guy here in San Diego. He is NOT one of the people mentioned on this website. Had I seen the lists shown here (I'm new to this), I would have used one of these sources.

If mechanically it fits, the FC seems a match. Transformers vary but are likely to work.