Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70 some stations buzz

Rebuilt Philco 70 has some stations that come in great, but others are just a loud buzzing.
Everything recapped, resistors and tubes checked.

Totally rebuilt.

Any ideas for the buzz only on some stations ?

Are there any florescent lights nearby - or other electrical appliances (fan, heater)? Does the buzzing happen all of the time or only certain times of day?

Have you tried hooking up the ground?

If you do have some reception without buzz, then it is likely not the radio but interference.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Lamp dimmers, computer power supplies,and anything electrically powered that was not around 40 years ago is also suspect.

(05-27-2017, 02:37 PM)Nathan Slingerland Wrote:  Are there any florescent lights nearby - or other electrical appliances (fan, heater)? Does the buzzing happen all of the time or only certain times of day?

Have you tried hooking up the ground?

Thought about florescents and turned them off, hooked up ground, reversed plug.  No change.  I will see if time of day affects noise and maybe get another radio to check around those freqs. 

I had rewound one of the coils but being I was good on a few stations didn't see how other parts of the band could be affected.

Thanks.

One of the worst offenders is a motion sensing light. Also, you might try turning off all the circuit breakers in your house except the one powering the radio.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks all. Seems to have been interference.