Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 96 help please

I recently picked up a Philco 96 to tinker around with and am looking for any info I can find to get it up and running.  This thing is in great shape but hasn't been powered up in 20 years. Couldn't find anything on samsWebsite and I haven't been able to access Philcorepairbench.com so not sure if that site is still going or not. Been searching the net all afternoon....came up with basic schematic and a crappy pic from one of riders manuals. I tried searching thru these forums for direction before posting a new thread so hope I didn't just miss it somewhere......Any help appreciated

Hello and welcome!

Good timing...I have just reposted the Philco schematics that used to be on this website, and which I took down when I merged the old Philcoradio.com website with the Phorum.

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...?tid=16721

Look under the 1930 listings. There is a model 96 schematic there - clear, easy to read, with parts values included.

Or, here is a direct link to the 96 schematic:

http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum/schem/96.jpg

Hope this helps.

Come on back with any questions you have. Glad you joined us!

Just curious...is this the 96 highboy that was at Louisville Antique Market?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Chuck's Philco Radio Repair Bench site does seem to be down tonight but Chuck is still around and is perhaps updating it. I sent him a PM in case he's not aware of it being down.

Lots of info on restoring Philco on this site so take your time and look through the various section. Be sure to ask questions too, lots of help from pholks here!

Thanks for your reply and links to the schematics! This will be very helpful. I'm a newbie at this and trying to do all the research I can before I dig in so I'm really happy I found this forum

I'm not sure if this is the same 96 you are asking about...my wife found it on Facebook and I picked it up from the seller this past week.  Links to pics below if you want to see it....seems to be in mint condition  Icon_biggrin  Hope the links work

http://imgur.com/4tCQ13c
http://imgur.com/omLAQT4

Thanks Bob, I'll need all the help I can get so I'm happy to have found this phorum

The links Ron gave you are for the schematics to your radio. The pictures you posted show its a Model 96 Highboy.

Wow Icon_eek Icon_thumbup That looks much better than the one that was in the Louisville Antique Mall a couple months or so ago. Great find!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron  Icon_e_biggrin
Hopefully it is kind to me and starts right up

If this thing is unmolested, this is one of a very few in this condition.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

NO!  Be kind to it and yourself and re-cap and, if necessary re-carbon the works before starting it up.  It would be a shame  to have it fry something because a 49 cent part went bad in it from age.  Especially with a cabinet as pristine as that one.  Please do yourself a favor and rebuild it first.  I'll get off my soapbox now.  Welcome, and take care,
Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Ditto. Don't start untill thorough check and recap, if hasn't been done.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks all! I have been watching the model 86 restore series on YouTube and was going to take same approach but I appreciate the input and will heed your advice to recap it before trying to power it up.

Hi and welcome,
Sam's doesn't support any sets before 1946 so for any service info your going to be look at service info from the manufacturer or Rider's. Fortunitly Philco was very good about supplying tech support to their dealers. In some instances poor diagrams have been redrawn for better readability.

As for a few simple test. Unplug the large plug the goes to the speaker and measure the resistance of the 4 pins. All should show some resistance against each other below about 4000 ohms.

The other simple test is the remove the #80. With the chassis out of the cabinet remove the sheet metal bottom cover. Measure the AC at the 80 socket across the two smaller terminals Be careful there's about 700vac. Should see about 700vac there.

These tests will tell if the power transformer and speaker are ok. There are many other things to check but these are the two big things.

While you are in the gathering mode don't use electrolytic caps for the filter in the power supply. There are a couple of 2mf and 1.5mf (the ones in side the can and #43). These should be replaced with modern film capacitors @ 630v.

Before you go too far apply a little bit of oil the the bushings on the tuning capacitor so it doesn't bind, those two metal dials cord are a pain to replace.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

@radioroslyn
Thanks Terry sounds like you know this model very well...I would appreciate your continued advice as I move thru this project whenever you have time.

Where would I find pin outs and expected voltage readings? Is that just from experience?

The 80 tube .... https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/021/8/80.pdf
This is a bottom view, where you should find the HV is on pins 2 and 3 (the smaller ones).
Most of the time electronics isn't a guessing game if you are unsure ask.
Something tells me I'm going to regret this. (Just kidding)
There are some general rules that apply to vacuum tube circuits and from this and the specification of the particular tube that is in question we can come up with reasonable idea what the voltage should be.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry