Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-216RX Weight?

Does anyone know the weight of a 40-216 console (with wireless remote)? Even an estimate would help.  Google was no help, nor was Radiomuseum. Yes, I am considering shipping one!  Thanks.

I would guess at 45-50lbs.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I would guess more like 100 lbs.

I will look when I get home. No guarantees.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

According to Philco Furniture History, the cabinet alone weighs 52 lbs., 8 oz. It does not give the weight for the complete radio.

Estimating another 40 lbs. for the chassis and 10 lbs. for the speaker, you have just over 100 lbs. of radio (again, chassis and speaker weights are guesstimates).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wow....I shipped 37-116 which was packed by UPS store, this included lots of materials plus plywood for the chassis, tge chassis box was then taped to the top of the cabinet box.
The weight came out 107lbs, which I remember since the limit of the freight was 108lbs.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I would expect the weight of the 40-216 chassis to be close to the weight of the 37-116 chassis. Probably a little less, but not much. The 40-216 chassis is very long, lots of tubes, a large stepper unit, big power transformer...it adds up. Now the 40-216's speaker will weigh much less than the 37-116 speaker. Still, I would expect the 40-216's total weight to be very close to the 37-116's total weight.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I believe that the 40-216RX has two power transformers, one for the radio receiver portion of the chassis, and another for the remote control receiver and stepper unit. Part of what would make the speaker lighter is the fact that the output transformer is mounted on the radio chassis and not the speaker basket, but the rear bracket holding the field coil is also not as heavy gauge and has no mounting ears like the speaker of a 37-116 would have. The 40-216RX also does not have any acoustical resonators to add to the weight, but this is likely offset by the extra parts involved in the remote control mechanism. The weight of the remote control box is pretty negligible, without the battery pack inside it may weigh a few pounds. I would not personally go to the trouble and expense of having any of the '16 series mystery control sets shipped, they seem to be common enough that a more local example will turn up at some point, not to mention the rubber/gutta percha wiring you often have to deal with to restore one, even in the remote control box.
Regards
Arran