Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-285 Chassis Question

Being new to this, I have so many questions about my radio, but for now, can someone tell me if the chassis is supposed to be grounded somehow?  I see now way for it to be, being in a wooden cabinet.

You would connect a ground wire to the metal chassis of the set. It's isn't an absolute necessary thing on your set. Will work ok without it  if your set is working.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

From the 2 photos, can someone tell me what the toggle switch is for, and also, is this what the undercarriage is supposed to look like with all the wiring?

In appears to be an external input for a phono or FM tuner. There is a white wire that looks to be connected at one end. It's all the was to the right side toward the front. If it is hanging loose cut it off as it is connect to one side of the AC plug and is dangerous.

Looks all pretty original so you'll need to replace a few consumables. The two thingies at the front of the chassis that have the metal strap holding them on. Those are three electrolytic capacitors (2 are in one of the units) that after 76yrs are shot and could cause damage to other expensive parts.
Also there are about 12 other capacitors (there about 1" long and 3/8"in dia) that should be replaced for reliable service. Should cost about $20 in parts.

If you are interested I'll dig up a schematic and make up a list of the proper values.
Found a good copy on the schematic here:
http://www.rsp-italy.it/Electronics/Radi...n/1941.pdf
It's on pg 103-104. You not being a technical type it may not make much of any sense to you. Basically it shows where all the parts are and how they are connected together along with how the make adjustments to critical circuits.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Radioroslyn, if you could make up that list that would be great.  Where's a good place to buy the capacitors?  Is justradios.com a good place to buy from?  Thank you.

Mike

I merged the two threads to keep the topic together. Icon_thumbup

See rules.

Tnx Bob.

Looks like you'll need:
1   .002 630v         #57  New marking as 202
1   .003 630v         #49  New marking as 302
2   .01UF XY rated  #65  New marking as 103
5   .01 UF 630v      #55,52,43,45,&38.  New marking as 103
4   .05UF 630v       #36,29,31,&6. New marking as 503
1   10UF 450v         #27
2   22UF 450v       #27A&62

I usually get caps from Sal Capacitors. http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/ Get axial lead film, easier to work with.
mf, mfd uf,and ufd all= the same. mmf,mmfd, and pf = the same

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The capacitor marked #49 you show as .003 630v, but the one that's in my radio is .003 1000v.  Does the difference in voltage matter?  And thanks for the help.  It's much appreciated.

Mike

Didn't show the voltage rating on the schematic. It's fairly common to have a much higher voltage rating on that particular cap as it's across the primary of the output transformer and if the spkr was open it could cause very high voltage spikes on the primary. You can use two .006 630v in series, that will= .003 @ 1260v.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Good to know!