Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 4-T-51

After over a week of trying to get schedules together, I finally picked up this rather small Zenith console this evening. The guy even met me halfway, saving me some miles and I actually got to try a Steak and Shake for the first time ever during the trip.   Icon_smile  Overall, the radio seems to be in very good condition with a couple issues that need ironed out. The additional IF can someone added to the back of the chassis seems only linked into antenna wire, with no hacking visible to the chassis. I guess he was selling the radio for his parents who lived in Brunswick, OH and he lives up in Cleveland, which added another issue getting things to jive with his parents to pick up the console. Since this was built the same year as Zenith's Stratosphere and the Baby Strats, I am going to call it the Micro Strat!  Icon_lol

I don't think the volume control shaft is supposed to pull out like this! Icon_eek  Ouch!

Note: I did have to use a little Auto-Enhance with my photo editor as it seems my camera is dying. It now takes rather washed out pictures. Icon_thumbdown  But, the radio really does look about that sharp in person!
Edit: Actually, it looks better in person. Seems even with auto-enhance, the pictures didn't come out great.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Cool,
It looks a little like an Airline 62-123.
I like Icon_smile

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I'm glad you finally got to try Steak and Shake..... next you'll say you've never tried White Castle Icon_eek 

Anyway, I'm glad you got that radio, it's one I've never seen before and it looks a lot better in your pictures than the Craigslist ad.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

(06-04-2017, 08:12 AM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  I'm glad you finally got to try Steak and Shake..... next you'll say you've never tried White Castle Icon_eek 

Anyway, I'm glad you got that radio, it's one I've never seen before and it looks a lot better in your pictures than the Craigslist ad.

Thanks! I also like the size of it and just the overall design.
Yes, where I live there are certain places we just don't have. The nearest White Castle was up near Akron, OH, but it is now gone. Yes, I did get to go there a few times at least. The closest Steak and Shake is about 20 miles away from me up in North Canton, OH.
Now, getting back to the radio, is there a possibility that control can be repaired? I haven't pulled the chassis for inspection yet.

(06-04-2017, 11:42 AM)Jayce Wrote:  .......Now, getting back to the radio, is there a possibility that control can be repaired? I haven't pulled the chassis for inspection yet.

Maybe, but you'll need to pull the chassis and take a closer look at the pot.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

I pulled the chassis and, other than being very gummed up, the pot seemed fine. It basically uses a pressed in shaft to work the control pot, which is odd. After several doses of control cleaner to loosen it up, I was able to press the shaft back in tight enough to work for off-on and volume functions with no issues as long as I don't go wild with it. Radio passed the transformer test and actually pulled in a few stations at low power on the bulbs. All good signs! Icon_smile There are quite a few capacitors crammed under that little chassis though! Almost an un-Zenith like amount!

Jayce, I found your little console in my Zenith brochures.  In 1936 it sold for $39.95 and the table version, the 4-T--26, sold for $20.00.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Ok, I figured it wasn't a high cost model when it was made. Information seems to be hard to find about either version except there was an early and a later version.