Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-295 (1941)

Hi, this is my first post here. If I’m in the wrong place I apologise.

Recently I acquired a Philco 41-295. The radio works and is in rather good condition of its age. I am incredibly impressed it was so well taken care of over the years. The radio has had minor modifying, which is expected. However it has never been totally refurbished (and I live in such a small area I don’t know if there’s anyone around who can).

I was wondering if anyone here had any tips on how to take care and clean up the radio. There’s a bit of dirt and dust on the wood, but on the top there’s slight water damage and scratches. I’m also looking for help finding some missing parts. Not all of the buttons are original and they’re not uniform. Also the label for what button does what is long gone. I’m also looking for PDFs of the manual and schematic, the manual bring most important to me.

I took some pictures of the radio including the buttons, missing labels and the damage on the top: https://imgur.com/a/BuLgN

Thanks for everyone’s help/advice!

Hi and welcome to the Phorum,
Poop sheet is here:   http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013422.pdf
A better/ cleaner copy can be had from the Philco Repair Bench. Chuck has all of the original service info and can copy it for you at a reasonable cost.

For the pushbuttons try http://www.renovatedradios.com/ Ed makes a lot of plastic and rubber like parts for these old sets. Don't know of anyone who makes up the station labels most guys make there own.

I got it's sister the 41-300 but haven't gotten to it yet. Just cracked open a late model 116B, what a mess inside!
Back to Amos n Andy on WNAR

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome to the phorum!
Icon_wave

Nice set! that stain on the to may be difficult to remove without a refinish job. Many people start cleaning up the wood with GoJo or Goop hand cleaner (the type WITHOUT any pumice in it). You can put it on a cloth and wipe the cabinet with it. Wipe off with clean cloth and much of the dirt and grime will come off. If the stain is due to water, GoJo/Goop treatment will not remove it. Next level treatment would be to use Howards Restore-a-Finish (walnut). That can help revitalize the finish but it will not repair cracked lacquer or remove stains.

Even though your set is playing, it may need to have the capacitors changed out, particularly the electrolytic ones. Folks here can help. If you start to restore you can post a cabinet thread in the cabinet section and electronic thread in the .... wait for it.... electronic section.... Icon_biggrin

Wiring in your set will have rubber coating which in many cases has become brittle and will crumble when touched or moved. There is a section on how to repair those.

I'll make sure to take a look at all the links. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!