Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need help finding a radio

Guys I am looking for a little table radio to put by  my bed. I am interested in a Philco 39-30t. Does anyone have one of these in your collection? And if anyone does have one how are they as performers, and do they pick up stations all across the dial. Hope to find one for my collection. We'll see. Thanks for the information. Icon_wave

Not really a little radio.
A 38-15 is.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike is right...it's not a very little radio. If you want one bedside, you'll need a fairly large nightstand, as this radio is 18 inches long by about 11 high and 10 deep. I have one I restored and it is a decent performer (with a long wire antenna) for a 6 tube radio. From a convenience standpoint, you may want to consider a 40-150 or 40-155 instead. They are the same size / style as the 1939 model you seek, yet have a greater tube count (the 40-155 has 8 tubes) for better performance. Both feature a built in loop antenna so you won't need to string a long wire in your bedroom. Icon_thumbup

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

5 Tube Transitones with nice bakelite case and internal antenna will receive well and are small. Even a Hippo.................6 tube performance.

Paul

Tubetalk1

If you were single I'd recomnend Emerson BD-197.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Guys in Ron's Philco book it looks like the 39-25t and the 39-30t radios are very much like the 40-150 and the 40-155 radios. The 1939 radios are in Ron's book on pages 114,115. And the 40-150t and the 40-155 radios are on page 128. Are all these radios similar? Which ones play the best? And do any of our Phorum members have these in their collection? One of these would be the next purchase that I would make if I was to find one . I just like the style of these waterfall little radio cabinets. Thanks in advance for your help!

The 1939 models do not have built-in loop antennas as Greg has already mentioned above, therefore the cabinets are not as deep as are the 1940 and 1941 versions.

The 1940 and 1941 models will play the best, but beware the 1941 models are a nightmare to restore. All of them have rubber-covered wiring...but the wiring in the 41-250 and 41-255 is worse, especially around the band switch. You must be very careful around the band switch when rewiring a 41-250 or 41-255 - the band switch is very easily broken. Don't ask how I know. Icon_redface

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN