Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA Victor 3-BX-671 Strato-World

A new friend who followed me home from a swap meet Sunday! Supposedly it worked until recently and the inside of the chassis is very clean. The knobs don't really grip their shafts anymore, so will need to sort that out at a minimum. All tubes seem to be there and overall it's pretty clean for being 60+ years old.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Those are pretty nice sets and not near as common as the T.O.'s from Zenith.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

It feels like a really solid, quality piece. I need to finish two other projects before getting too far into this one, but at a minimum I'll probably get some leather cleaner for the case and test the tubes. None of the spares that originally came with these sets are there, of course. It does have an external suction-cup antenna that I guess you'd stick to a window. I wonder if this is to be used with the shortwave? There's a standard internal loop antenna too. It seems like you unplug one and plug in the other to switch antennas.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Just finished one. A bit of a pita to service. Lots of bumblebees and a heavily wired 4 section cap.Thought it had smd ( popping and static sounds when idling) in the if cans but turned out to be the filter. Left it till the end as I really didn't want to replace it if I didn't have to. If you can help it don't fool with the dial cord, it's in three sections and is difficult to replace. On my set long ago someone tried to restring it but ended up having the dial pointer going the opposite direction as the tuning cap. All the way open the pointer was at the llow end of the dial.
> There's a standard internal loop antenna too.
Not a bad idea to use some contact cleaner on the hinges, that how the loop is connected to the chassis. Mine was a little intermittent.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry