Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 20, 70, or 90 field coil impedence?

Hi:
What is the impedance of the field coil for the above speakers? I'm thinking about substituting the field coil in the power supply for an equivalent choke. I'm trying out a different audio output circuit using a PM speaker. Thanks. Cal.

Welcome to the Phorum Cal!

This tech article has lots of info on the Philco 20/70/90 speakers:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=14991

Thanks. There are resistance readings for the field coils.

However, there are no inductance values.

That question came up a number of yrs ago. Best I remember it was something like 37H but that was with no current flow though it. I would suspect that it going to be somewhat less. The hard part is going to find a choke a dc resistance that is close to so your voltage drop across it will be similar. There was a thread about how to rewind the old coil. On most those early K style spkrs the fc is bolted in so It's not rocket science to remove it and rewind.
ps I think you mean inductance rather that impedance.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

tom-eight-o - tom-ah-to. Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

You are correct. Inductance.

I suppose in the big scheme of things what I would look for is a 10-20H choke at 40ma or better. Since it's in the HV side rather than the bias the resistance isn't super critical but will have an effect on the amount of HV. A series resistor is probably a good idea to equal out the total resistance to the original. Would keep the input capacitor at the same value but if hum is an issue then increase the size of the output capacitor.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry