Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 49-1611

Has anyone restored an 49-1611 radio?

Someone gave me one and would like to restore it.

Noticed it had a selenium rectifier and a electrolytic four section can, 40-40-20-10, 250vdc.

I've looked for but can't find the four section can.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

I think most would just solder in 4 separates. Some would take the can apart (grinding off the bottom flange removing the innards and resealing the bottom or cutting the side open abt an inch above the bottom clean it out put new caps in and close it up by wrapping a layer of al tape) and restuffing. Or : https://hayseedhamfest.com/pages/custom-can-capacitor

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

+ one on what Terry said. If you can't find the can it might have already been replaced by some newer caps installed under the chassis.

Thanks for the reply and link.

Also can you guys recommend a good place to buy capacitors for restoration?

Sam

Thanks, Sam

See: http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...?tid=14950 for some places to buy caps and other items.

I get caps from justradios.com, radiodaze.com, tubesandmore.com. I know several people buy from mouser.com

(06-20-2017, 06:08 PM)sdman Wrote:  Also can you guys recommend a good place to buy capacitors for restoration?

I highly suggest this guy..
but......... you gotta follow his rules.

read his inventory, copy and paste what you want to buy into your email using his structure /line item from his inventory.

great great shipping and very quick turn around on parts.

others may have different ways of workiing with him but i know what i had to do...

http://www.oldradioparts.com/

PTOTP is a wonderful site for for NOS and USED parts but I don't know that he carries any new replacement mylar or electrolytic caps. It is great for locating hard to find rf,if and power transformers among lots of other parts. The owner (Gary) is a good communicator and ships fast.

I would recommend Sal's Capacitor Corner. Prices are good along with the quality. Most of the time I buy in bulk @ 20 or more pieces of one value which I can receive a little bit more of a price break. He carries mostly well known brand name electrolytic caps and better quality 105 deg units vs the cheaper/ lower quality 85 deg units.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I bought large assortments of caps and resistors on ebay pretty cheap and with free shipping. Be sure to check the "ships from" location, as some of them will come from Hong Kong and you'll be waiting 2-3 weeks for it to arrive in that case. I found sellers in the US with the same deals, though.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."