Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hippo 48-460 code 122

A++ mike!
Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Had to weed out one cap, the C18, as it needs to be an X-rated cap and there's no way to fit those inside a tube, so instead of 40nF tubular I used 10nF black rectangular cap, small enough to be inconspicuous and will do just fine, a 40nF is not really necessary.
You could see it there.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I saw it but kept my mouth shut. Amazing!!!!!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Connected the loop antenna, works very well. There is hum. Only noticeable when there is no station, and does not depend on volume. Was more pronounced when plugged through the isolation xfmr. Tried to rotate the plug, no effect. I decided to live with it.

If someone has a Hippo and is/was dealing with this problem, please let me know. It is not significant enough problem that I want to devote lots of time troubleshooting.

I polished it a bit, cleaned the chassis, washed the knobs with toothbrush and dish soap. One happened to be cracked inside, not visible and holds well, but was enough for the leaf spring to fall out, good thing I noticed.

Here it is assembled.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Out of the workshop.

Very nice, Mike! Icon_clap You are fortunate that the back was still in place and in nice condition. Even more so that the clips to hold the back were still there. As far as I know the clips aren't available anywhere. I had to make clips for mine.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Greg,

Yes, I specifically was looking for a complete radio, with the backing and all. It was a surprise it came at a very good price too.

Looks great!

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Old post but maybe you could help.. How did you clean the dial cover.

I did not. It was clean.
If however it is opaque, I would start with isopropyl alcohol.