Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

47-1230 antenna problem

I received a philco 47-1230 as a gift and am wanting to attach an outdoor antenna. The trouble i am having is how to attach it to the set. The set uses an am loop antenna that is built in. I tried disconnecting one side of the built in antenna and attaching a longwire antenna. This did not work. When the oem antenna is disconnected, the set goes deaf even with the long wire attached to terminal 1. The best i have done is leaving the oem antenna in place and hooking the longwire to terminal 1. The problem with this is that the oem antenna picks up all the electrical noise from inside the house, and whistles between stations when tuning. I have stewed over the schematics with no ideas coming to mind. One idea that hit me while typing this was taking some wire and making loops intertwined with the factory antenna, and hooking that to the longwire. The set was apparently built with local stations in mind. My problem is that i dont have any locals around me. During the day,the set gets one station very faintly.

The simple answer is to leave the loop connected and connect a small mica cap (like 50 or 100mmfd ) to the ungrounded side of the loop connection. Connect the long wire to the other end of the cap.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

What does hooking a cap do for this?

Couples the signal from the antenna to the rf input circuit of the radio.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ok. What is the benefit of coupling the antenna with a cap as opposed to hooking it up a straight?