Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 16B Cathedral

Hi Ron. I usually use those tunable loops, like Radio Shack and others, were selling for the antique BC sets and in my basement work shop. They work well, but do require tuning. For general testing, in the shop, I use just a piece of wire, strung thru the floor joists. Since I test all of them on this wire, I have a pretty good idea how one radio compares with the others.  The comparison I am referring to in the above post, was my concern.

I have my 37-116 sitting right next to the 16B, on the bench. I know the 37-116 is a better radio, and it has the tuned RF first stage. I have pretty much settled on the tuned first RF stage as being the difference I am experiencing.

I do have my 40m dipole and 80m inverted V in the radio shack that I can connect the communications radios to. They would all do much better with those. The house has a radio antenna in the attic, with several connection points in the house, but I seldom ever use it. When I move a radio from the shop to somewhere else in the house, a tuned loop, with alligator clips is used when I listen.

Chris H
N9WHH