Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 80 Bakelite values

Hi: picked up a model 80 jr. and hope to start on it soon.  In looking at the schematic I did not see a value listed for the #25 Bakelite.  The set appears to have four Bakelite caps:  #10 (.09); #27 (.006); #32 (.015) and #25.  Can anyone confirm?  Especially the value for #25.  Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

#25 is a 0.015uF cap (part# 3793-B)
#10 contains two 0.09uF caps (part#4989-B)
#27 is a 0.006uF cap (part# 7625-B)
#32 is a 0.01uF cap (part # 3903-AH)
and
also #30 is a 0.01uF cap (part#3903-AJ) but this cap has been eliminated in set with Run No. 5 and above.

The part # is important because it can tell you how the block is wired. See the info in the Tech Section on Bakelite Block Data .

A schematic is here and also the full service bulletin is on the audiophool site.. Chuck also has schematic with all changes for a few bucks at http://www.philcorepairbench.com/schematics/

Sorry about the delay in answering - out of town.  Thanks for all the info. Extremely helpful!

Hi and welcome to the Phorum,
While your in there check the carbon resistors and primary of the ant and osc coils they tend to be problematic on these guys.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I replaced the caps and filters and several resistors.  The chassis and tuning condenser were badly rusted. Removed rust and cleaned contacts.  Oscillator would not work.  Tried several things but ended up trying Norm's technique of putting a 4.7K resistor in parallel with #6.  Worked perfectly.  Sounds great and what an outstanding forum.  Thank you all.