Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco or not Philco ?

Hello , Sirs , good evening from France Icon_biggrin

One of my friends found this radio st 

No logo , no inscriptions , but we can read " Philco " on the back of the loud speaker !

Is it really a Philco one or not ?

Thanks in advance for help Icon_biggrin

Attached Files Image(s)

The knobs are clearly Philco.
The tube shields are also Philco style.

The rectifier tube is mounted in a weird fashion: it seems to be in a place where usually the second electrolytic cap would reside.

It is nice that the grill cloth is intact - try to preserve it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

hello Morzh

Thanks for quick reply .

But I have not found it on the philco radiomuseum gallery , perhaps I have not seek with enough attention ?

Which year do you estimate it ?

Unless Ron knows something......these export models are poorly documented.
If I were to deal with such radio, I'd have to go by replacing the caps with what's written on them, making sure the coils are not open and then trying to read the resistors' codes and check and replace them accordingly as needed.

In fact that would do it most of the times. If we are talking the electrical restoration. And then, if there are no docs as to the cabinet specifications, one could probably go from what he sees and the general tendencies of the time period (what veneers / toning lacquers were in use and such).

I hope the speaker is OK, plus it seems to have the shadow meter, which I also hope is OK.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Replacing the caps is what we also génerally and prioritary do when restoring an old radio .
For the resistors , depend , yes we can mesure them and check if they have not to much varied .

About the shadow meter , it seems looking like same or quasi same I have on the chassis of my console .

For the cabinet , this one seems to be a lot worm eaten , as many small holes are visible
So , first after cleaning it a bit , is to process it with a product against those insects , and after plug the numerous holes !

Woodworms in small cabinets like this one are easily destroyed if placed for a day or two in a freezer chest.
I cured a vase that I brought from Haiti, which was infested with one of those. I have a freezer chest, so it went there and that was that.

A freezer chest:

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-7.0-cu-ft-c...NwodZI8EIg

(I don't know if those are popular in Europe).

I just noticed the output transformer says "Philco" on it (kind of hidden by wires). Almost certainly some kind of Philco.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Put it in a freezer chest , yes , that exactly what recommend one our friend on our french forum  !

looking the pub , I just notice you have not yet taken custom tu use the metric system !!! Icon_mrgreen

Well.....yes, we here are Imperial folks Icon_smile

In all honesty, me being from the USSR and having grown up in metric system, I do not find the Imperial one hard to use, and I can freely think and work in either (I am an engineer). In fact, I have gotten so accustomed to the Imperial over the first 3-4-years of usage that when I had to deal with the metric at some point, I found it less.....convenient. Icon_smile

And the beer always tastes better as a pint than as 1/2 litre Icon_lol

Hi Claude,
Sure looks like a Philco and if I had to guess at it I'd say a model 60 or 66. That would date it abt 1934 or so. The large tube at the left rear corner has been added. It should be a second electrolytic cap there. The rectifier tube is just in front of it, a #80 tube. A lot of these European set have little documentation here in the states. Cabinets are different looking and chassis are similar sometimes. The 60 and 66 chassis look the same from the top, the easy way to tell them apart is the frequency coverage. 60 only tune up to abt 3mc the 66 abt 12mc or so.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I would guess 1936 or 37.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

These knobs were in use from 34 to 46.
If the radio is a relative to 60 or 66, it got the shadowgraph that those didn't have.

Except for the escutcheon, it looks very much like a UK Philco model 265 from 1935.

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...?tid=15019

(scroll about 1/3 of the way down the page to see a picture)

And since the black and white picture is a factory illustration, it could very well be that production sets had escutcheons like yours instead of as shown in the illustration.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Good morning Ron , Morzh and All

Thanks a lot for answers and documentation .

For Ron : on the illustration , I read " model 264 " baby Grand " , why do you tell 265 ???

It appears the page model is existing in radiomuseum site , but without any photo ... so it was impossible to make relation !
Radiomuseum presents two models , one from UK and one from The States .

I ' ll ask my friend to verify if the tubes set is OK with the page model , except the left tube as, as said Ron , which was at evidence replaced .

Morzh said "

" And the beer always tastes better as a pint than as 1/2 litre Icon_lol"

Yes indeed , sure . when I was young , in Francce, it was still usual to say " let 's go to drink a pint of beer "

and it is still usual to say: " to have a pint of good blood " , when having good news .