Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco or not Philco ?

(07-06-2017, 08:27 AM)claude.france Wrote:  For Ron : on the illustration , I read " model 264 " baby Grand " , why do you tell 265 ???

Look at the page I lined in post #13 again. Model 264 is a different cabinet than 265. My source was original Philco (UK) factory brochures. The picture in your original post clearly matches the 265 in appearance.

Quote:It appears the page model is existing in radiomuseum site , but without any photo ... so it was impossible to make relation !
Radiomuseum presents two models , one from UK and one from The States .

Let me tell you something. I had already written a book on Philco and was doing more research on the subject before Radiomuseum was a glint in Ernst Erb's eye.

Neither the 264 nor 265 are USA models. One or both may have been made here for export to the UK, but they were not sold here.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Many thanks Ron for rectification I am sorry , I had stopped to scroll to early , and stopped on the first advertising image .without going further  !

About " Radiomuseum " , I would like to say that radiomuseum site is well known in Europe speaking german , english or dutch , and a little bit less  in France . So , this site is for many people in Europe a reference, even if , unfortunately, some mistakes are present on their site .

I am now very proud and happy tho know " Philco Phorum " , having the privilege to can speak with you and other american members of your forum .

On our french site , we have a page model ( see photo  ) ,  registered with and  without  turntable ,  listed as a 264 model .
Perhaps are we  wrong , as in your post dated july 2016, I see it should be the 261 model . Am I right ?

Attached Files Image(s)

And I sincerely apologize to you, Claude, for my harsh/terse answer previously.

I've studied Philco since 1990 - 27 years now.

Now let us discuss your two pictures just above. Except for the escutcheon and knobs, the radio on the right is identical to my UK Philco 261. This may or may not help you, but my 261's chassis looks like a USA model 60 with two exceptions: one, the addition of a shadowmeter; and two, the three gang tuning condenser instead of the two-gang tuning condenser used in the USA 60. The 261 (and the USA 60) use five tubes (valves).

While the set on the left above looks very much like a 261, I would have to assume that it probably has a different model number since it has the gramophone (phonograph) on top. I do not know at this time what the proper model number should be. If it is your set or if it belongs to someone you know, can you check and see if there is a tag or label inside with the proper model number (it may state CHASSIS TYPE instead of MODEL)?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron

If I understand well , the model without a Phono is a 261 , an the model with the phono coud have a different reference.

These are the tubes listed in our page model : 80, 6A7, 78, 75, 42

The page model was made in 2003 , so 14 years before to day , but as I still know the owner , I can try to contact him and ask more détails .

A 60 with a turntable, I'll be.....at least, I think, this one has a heftier speaker: regular model 60 doesn't really have what it takes for a good record music playing.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

This one also is said by radiomuseum to be a 261 model ! indeed same case , but not same " decoration "

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_261.html

It's that "box" version that also exists for other radios, like 80jr, 37C and some other, forgot which.

http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1932c/#Model_37C

Ugly, if you ask me.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

As much as I like it with record player
I don't think its original looks like home made lid 
And under record is what looks to be a chrome cover 
I could be wrong. But I still like it

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2