Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-280 code 121

Now the question:

Look at these pictures of the band switch.

You could see on the first a solder lug on the bottom wafer, next to the large white do-hickey that's just bent up and is not soldered to anything. Is it like so in your radio?
And the second bothers me: you could see how on the same wafer, at the same more or less place (I just focuse my macro lens on a different spot) the white wire (to the right of the red) goes to the contact that is raised on a blob of solder and it is above the level where it wipes the sliding contact when it moves by. Though the contact seems to touch that blob. The contact is the third one counting from the stand-off that holds the wafers. What the heck is it and what do you have in its place?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike, sorry, I don't have my chassis out.  Now, however, I have a reason to. Will look tomorrow.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Mike, without my schematic or chassis in front of me I'm going with a couple of hunches.  The 41-280 does have a gimmick wire in it - that might be your unsoldered wire.  Also, if this chassis is like the 41-255 chassis, the white block is a duel mica cap block.  At work right now, so can't check to be sure.

Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Gary, no, the gimmick wire is in the tuning cap.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well, I aligned it, mostly IF and moved the pointer using the local 1160AM station and then my generator.
After that the was very little other trimmers did.

I have lots of stations on Bc, a few on Police, especially between 5 and 7MHz and very few on SW after dark, with a short wire for an antenna.

I will listen to it when assembled, now waiting for my rosin to come in to add traction to the cord.
But so far I am not impressed. It is not a sound I would admire. Very.....mediocre.
Maybe I'll sell it. Though maybe I'll leave it for the collection as the sole rep of this style.

The schematic for your 41-280 looks similar to my 41-250. I am very pleased with the performance of the 41-250 for sensitivity. With the built in loop I find it gets plenty of stations plus a lot less noise and static compared to my 37-116 which uses a long wire antenna. The 37-116 does beat the 250 for sound quality though.

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Ron

I meant the sound. The sensitivity on AM is just fine, but sound-wise it is not just below the 37-116, it is below 18 or 111, that is radios that were not exactly top of the line and were 8-9 years older.

Acceptable, yes, but nothing remarkable. I'll defer my final judgement until it is all in the cabinet, but most times one could infer the performance listening to the speaker on the bench.

>Acceptable, yes, but nothing remarkable

So Mike what are you going to do about it????

If it where mine the 7c6 would be gone and a 7F7 in it's place. 1N34 replaces the diode section of the 7c6. 2nd triode used as a phase inverter. Should give a little more gain which will compensate for the loss in some negative feed back to boost the low end up a little.

I know I have too much time on my hands!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I don't improve upon radios, I restore them.
Plus, it is my impression that the speaker is at least partly responsible.

Well, it ain't so bad after all. Not your 37-116 but in the cabinet I could justify keeping it. Icon_smile

I was waiting on the piece of rosin I bought on eBay for 90 cents and free shipping to come, which it did today, so I dissolved it in some pure isopropanol and with a cotton swab soaked the cord a bit in it so it stopped slipping, after which I put it in the cabinet. It is playing as I am writing this.

Some pics.

Playing aglow (could not do it in the dark)

This concludes the restoration.