Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 514

Yup. That will do.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ok I will give it a try Let you know what happens..

Skip

Ok,, So grounding radio Via the Ground plug on power cord had No difference.. I did notice the following..

If I put my hand over the firts RF tube the volume went way up Actually I could vary the volume by moving my hand closer and farther from top of tube. the 2nd and 3rd IF tubes behaved the same but not as load as the 1st one..

I tried to short wiper of the volume to where it connects to the Ant terminal No difference in volume..

When a antenna is hooked up to ant terminal it makes NO difference

I can only receive the one station near me.. I also tried changing the 26 tubes around in different sockets Still NO difference..

PS also have a medium hum out of speaker.. haven't adjusted the hum adjusters yet..

What to check next??

Skip...

Your antenna coil is open.
Phil

Well The Coil is not open.. .. Long story however... It got me going in the right direction.. ( Thanks)

Short version..

When I measured the coil the Primary that hooks up to the wiper on the volume control It was shorted..

Traced back to the volume control Looks like the control itself has to be insulated from the chassis.. If not the center wiper control is always shorted..

So I found the spacer that insulated the control and now measure 2.0 Ohms for the coil .. The control is still messed up but was able to vary the volume.. So I either need to have this fixed or find another one..

Is this a special control or can I sub a 10K pot just to see if it works..

Skip...

Don't think there is any thing magic about the control other than perhaps the taper. You also may find that when you have it in the metal cabinet and shields in place that it acts better too. Could be that there is just a lot of RF from 1440, how was Miller time??

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

OK Well The volume control is defiantly flaky..

So I will try to find one to Temp wire in to see if that works..

Miller time was great. Nice hearing the old music playing on a 1928 set...

Skip...

After dark they fade into the abyss down here.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yea well I am only about 1 mile from site.. They reduce power at night to 500 Watts.. Day time power is 2500 Watts.. They might adjust there antenna pattern too at night.. Not sure on that...

Skip..

Ok was playing with this again. Took out the pot and cleaned again.. Working better.. But noticed AS I wiggle the tubes in sockets it would get better then worse.. When I played with the last 26 tube ( the 1st AF) it seemed to be much more noticeable..

I guess I need to clean the pins and also pins on the tubes.. How is the best way to do that..

Skip...

OK Cleaned all tubes and sockets.. Behaving much better now.. OK Next How do you do a Alignment on this.. I assume its completely different than other radios I played with..

The Instructions from Chuck say something about Neutralizing and Dummy tubes??

Does anyone have some detailed instructions on how to do this?

Thanks
Skip

The procedure is outlined here:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...?tid=14988

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron..

Skip

Ok Started on alignment.. The RF stages first until my adapters come to make a base for neutralizing..

I tried to adjust the nuts but big problems as I do not have a fiber nut wrench.. Question...

What do you use to adjust these? Something I can buy??? Do they make a fiber nut wrench??

Radio is up and running.. but I can tell it can get better...

Skip...

If it's tight loosen it w/a 1/4" nut driver and then use an empty ball point pen plastic tube for the final adjustment.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry