Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New member, with a new radio - 42-1011

Hello all!  Thanks for having me!

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I were browsing in a resale / thrift store which regularly has quite a bit of good furniture in stock.  We had gone looking for bookcases (alas, found nothing on that front), and were also looking for a small table or cabinet of some kind to have near the door, you know - for a bowl for keys and possibly a place for mail.  Near the front of the store we found this 42-1011 which we both really liked right away.  Obviously non-operable, and missing the speaker - the cabinet was in nice shape, and the chassis looked to be compete and unmolested.

It was marked with a $50 price, though having shopped there before, I know they are often negotiable on their prices.  We were approached by the staff, and asked if our interest in the radio was for a restoration, or for "one of those Pintrest deals".  It was quite obvious from her tone that she was not impressed by those who might hack up the radio.  We immediately expressed that our interest was for restoration, and that I did have one other antique console radio (A Montgomery Ward Airline 62-192).  We were immediately offered a discount to $25 if we were interested.  Needless to say, it came home with us.

Once home, and doing a bit more research, I've learned that the turntable in the cabinet is far from the original.  While disappointing, it did start an idea brewing for the radio.  First, my hope is to find someone to do the electronic restoration on it, as I know I don't have the time nor the skills to do this correctly.  So if anybody has recommendations - either for Philco experts, or someone who might be able to help my with my Airline's resto too - I'm very interested.

My second question is in regards to my plan for the radio.  As the original turntable is long gone, I was considering replacing the aftermarket unit with a simple shelf, and mount a Rasberry Pi and touch screen there.  My intent would be to be able to play our music library or stream Pandora or something through the radio.  It appears that the input to the chassis for the turntable is a simple RCA type jack, implying that it accept a simple analog signal?  If so, I'm thinking I can build this out with no permanent modifications to either the chassis nor the cabinet.  Thoughts? 

Thanks!

--Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Very nice find!

I'm sure you will hear from some of the folks who have worked on a 42-1011 or can comment on the jack you mentioned. There is an antique radio club not too far from you where you might get someone that is relatively local to help you as well. See: http://coara.org/

John and Jean are in Leo IN about 3 hours from you and I "think" they are still in the radio restoration business. You can check with them: http://www.johnjeanantiqueradio.com/

The 1942 models had wiring that was rubber coated and crumbles after this many years so the rewiring of the set will likely be needed in addition to replacement of all capacitors and any out of spec resistors.

I have just finished a 41-280 which is, though not quite the same thing, is from the same generation.
I got lucky but you might expect to have to rewire the chassis as the wiring has rubber insulation and often is crumbling and faling off as you touch it.
Otherwise these are not hard to restore, I was done with mine for the most part in three days, and it is p!aying now.

Welcome! Nice find!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks! Bob, I'm going to reach out to John and see what he has to say on the radio.

I've done a bit of reading already, and I did see many comments about Philcos of this generation sometimes needing a complete re-wire, so I'm prepared for that to be part of getting it back in operation. I realize this will certainly increase the cost of a resto, but with our plans for the radio, I think it's worth it to give it another 75 years of life.

I'm really happy with the condition of the cabinet after some initial cleaning. There's a more careful cleaning to be done, but other than replacing the speaker cloth, our plan is to leave it completely original.

Oh, and one other question I have - just to get an understanding of what we've acquired. Once we have it restored and working again, what kind of value would it have - given the original turntable is long gone?

Hi and welcome,
> Once we have it restored and working again, what kind of value would it have - given the original turntable is long gone? 

Kinda hard to say these days. Big consoles have been falling out of favor for the last few years. But your's is a pretty nice looking  I'd take a guess and say $100-$150 all fixed up. To me the turntable is a plus as the original only played 78's

> I realize this will certainly increase the cost of a resto

Ha wire is cheap it's the time at adds up quick!

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Only 12.00 to join the Ohio club Bob mentioned, you may enjoy being a member if you like this stuff, get to look others projects, tips, find folks to help restore. Help find speaker.

I was at a friends last nite, listened to a big ole RCA, vintage music, fights, programs of the day. Your content is unlimited with access to the net.

Jeff at Radiotiques has some Philcos up for parting out, or email him he may have a speaker o nce you determine the specific type, it was probably used in other models, he is a good guy, you can mention I sent you! He will still try to help.

http://radiotiques.com/forsale.asp?Tab=Tube

Good luck, 

Paul

Tubetalk1

depending on which cabinet you have too could affect price a little
it had a BOL player in it.
they show up on ebay time to time around 100.
but you still have to rebuild head unit
but will only play 78`s   as terry mentioned

philco gallery
http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1942a/#Model_42-1011P

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

And the rubber parts. Seems like a losing proposition.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry