Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 077 generator

Pull it out of the heap and had a look at it. Kinda crusty but all original. Spent an hour or so replacing 3 paper cap and one bakelite a 3651YU (#16). That one has two caps in series a .05 and .03. Anybody got a wiring diagram of it?? Pretty sure I've got it wired correctly but want to double check. It and two of the paper caps are fairly hard to get at there down between the oscillator coils and band switch. Wired in a couple of electrolytic caps and took it for a test drive. Makes rf but no modulation. Measured some voltages and they seem a bit low. Ac voltage from the rectifier plates to chassis 127v and 0V. Not good as half of the hv winding is open. Pretty sure somewhere around I have 125-0-125v @15ma transformer 
http://www.myvintagetv.com/Apple%20PDF%2...ervice.pdf

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I think you mean 3615-YU....

If so, Ray's book says:

[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/98ebt03qra2uqt....jpg?raw=1]

Thx for thanks a look but some buddy isn't telling the truth. 077 schematic sez .03 and .05 not .3. I did wire it correctly but have no 400cy tone. Will try paralleling the .03 w/a.25 and see if that gets me oscillating.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Don't think a .3 and a .05 would physically fit inside the bakelite housing. Barely will fit a modern .25 @630v would think a 400v unit wouldn't be much smaller.
Off to go dig up a transformer.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Its possible Ray's book has it wrong. I know there were some corrections issued that may not be included in the booklet I have. 0.3 is pretty big!

Don't forget the ketchup! Icon_biggrin

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

>Don't forget the ketchup! [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...iggrin.gif]
You know what that's for?????

Found a little transformer in the shed. Filament winding is a little lite so will dump the 6X5G that was in it and replace it w/a diode. It's also set up for a half wave rectifier (no center tap) just need one diode instead of two.
With the old transformer half open a half wave circuit is what I had with it. Same voltage but 1/2 the current.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

(07-12-2017, 01:46 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  >Don't forget the ketchup! [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...iggrin.gif]
You know what that's for?????

Sure, for dipping my french fries! Definitely never on a Chicago-style hot dog.

I also saw that it makes a pretty good acid paste for cleaning 80 years of crud off the brass face.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Yes we have a winner!

Replaced the transformer and is making abt 90vdc after the filter and such. Might be a little low so I could remove the #23 and replace it w/an iron core choke. This has a low resistance and filters ac better than a resistor which = higher voltage. Got to play w/it a bit more.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry