Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model B1349 radio/phonograph

I just purchased a Philco  B1349 radio/phonograph.  The radio works very well but the phonograph needs some repairs to the arm and new needles.  I am looking for the user manual for the unit  or any information about removing the arm to replace the needles and solder a broken wire.  I have the Sam's Photofacts for the unit which has the part numbers and I believe I have found a source for the needles.

Any help would be appreciated to get this unit completely working.

Glenn

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I moved your thread over to the electronic restoration section. Unfortunately I can't help you as I have not worked on phonographs yet however I'm sure someone here will chime in!

Hi and welcome,
Do you have the turn table out?? Post a pic of it's bottom side.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The phonograph in your B1349 is the same as used in the B1750 and the 53-1750 Philco radio phonographs. I have restored 3 of these. You can buy a new needle and insert it into the old cartridge but unless you are able and/or good at rebuilding the cartridge, it will never be great. I decided to retro fit the arm with a new, more modern cartridge from this company: http://thevoiceofmusic.com. The needle cartridges I bought were part numbers: EV5632-Ast-DS73 and it uses a harness: part # Vm44803. The needle attaches to the harness (it plugs into the back of the new needle cartridge) and The harness has 3 wires that come out of it. It is a flip needle with one side for 78 rpm records and the other for 45's and 33 rpm records. 3 wires coming out of the needle/harness - red, white and silver. For a mono application, you would tie the red and white wires together, the silver is a ground -and you would splice these into the 2 existing wires coming out from the old cartridge OR you could completely cut out the old wires and run the new wires from the new harness all up the arm and into the bottom of the turntable. You 'll need to figure out which of the old wires in the ground. The old wires are glued into the old arm with some kind of glue which by now is like a rock but can be removed using gel type paint remover from Home Depot. If you don't have to, I would recommend NOT removing the old arm to do all this. You will also have to fashion a new way to mount the new needle cartridge and harness into the needle end of the arm - which I did - you kind of have to re engineer the way the new cartridge will be held in place by the needle arm. There are also a drive belt and idler wheel which have to be replaced and these exact replacements are available. My Dad's old 1940's 78 rpm records sound almost like new - sound is clear and crisp with this new setup and the old cartridge even though I had inserted a new needle into it - was rough and muddled sounding. The idler wheels and belts can be purchased here as well: https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/...urrets.asp

Thanks for the great information.  I will check it out.  How does the arm come up to get to the cartridge?  Do I have to remove the retaining clip on the bottom to pull the arm assemble up and out?

Glenn

The way I dealt with all this was to turn the phonograph upside down and let the tone arm hang down - it hangs down enough to let me do what I had to do. I didn't take the actual tone arm all the way off however.